Marlin Anchor Locker - How much line

mas

Reaction score
How much line can the anchor locker accomodate? Was hoping to get 600' of 1/2" line with 20' of chain. Have people successfully used 600' in the Marlin anchor locker with the Simpson-Lawrence windlass (2001 Marlin)?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, I'm sure that the anchor locker on our Islander is a good bit smaller than yours.

We had 300-ft of 1/2" 3-strand rode, and 30-ft of chain, to our horizontal windlass.

We now have 600-ft of 1/2" 8-plait line, and 30-ft of chain, and it feeds in and out better.

So, I would say that you could fit the same - alt least.

However, if you have a vertical windlass you need to make sure there is adequate "fall" below the windlass. Vertical windlasses need more "fall" than horizontal windlasses, due to the direction change in the line coming off the windlass.

So, I would strongly recommend 8-plait for your rode.

I got mine here: http://www.secosouth.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=8_plait_nylon

Brian

mas

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am comforted to know that 600' will fit. And I do have a horizontal windlass so that's a bit easier. But now, you've added a new "twist" to the issue (and thanks for the link). Is 8 plait worth the added cost? I have triple braid now and the manufacturer for the windlass recommends triple braid in their manual - but I have seen several posts saying that the softer 8 plait lays nicer in the locker and tangles less...

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
mas said:
Thanks for the reply. I am comforted to know that 600' will fit. And I do have a horizontal windlass so that's a bit easier. But now, you've added a new "twist" to the issue (and thanks for the link). Is 8 plait worth the added cost? I have triple braid now and the manufacturer for the windlass recommends triple braid in their manual - but I have seen several posts saying that the softer 8 plait lays nicer in the locker and tangles less...

Sorry, but I am not familiar with 'triple braid' at all. I went from 3-strand - which doesn't coil down well at all - to the 8-plait, and it lays down like lowering chain into a bucket.

If your triple-braid "falls" and stacks nicely, then no reason to change it.

Do you have 600-ft of it, ready for the locker?

mas

Reaction score
My bad. I meant 3 strand and not triple braid. :sorry