Marlin Battery Wiring

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Finally joined the fam with a 2006 300 Marlin. Pretty impressed with what I have seen so far. But the battery wiring surprised me. The house bank is not isolated?

Typically I have seen 1 batt for each motor, and then two batts in parallel and isolated as the house supply. But from what I see in the Grady, there are two, two battery banks, one motor pulling from each bank and the house pulling off one of these banks. Seems strange to have a motor pulling off the house bank?

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Thanks, glad I wasn't the only one. The setup in the link has them separate as well. Only thing I like to do is use "on/off" switches instead of "A/B" and also use VSR's. I use an "on/off" for the start batts, and one for the house. But that's just the way I like to do them, it's simple Either setup would work though.

Thanks for sharing the link!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Hey Thanks, glad I wasn't the only one. The setup in the link has them separate as well. Only thing I like to do is use "on/off" switches instead of "A/B" and also use VSR's. I use an "on/off" for the start batts, and one for the house. But that's just the way I like to do them, it's simple Either setup would work though.

Thanks for sharing the link!
If you read thruogh you will see that I added On/OFF switchs under the gunnels so I don't have to remove tubs to get to the OEM switches.
I left the originals in because they are already wired to cross from port to starboard. They stay on 1 and 2 and never get touched.

If you add the Aux Charging wires of your yamahas you don't need VSRs. But that works too.
You might already have charging wires connected and don't know it. Sometimes they included them but wired them to the same lug as the start wire, making them useless.
They are only useful if you separate the House from the Start. I don't understand why they don't wire the boats that way.

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yah. I saw you did that. I thought the same thing, that way you can maintain the existing switch panel setup. I would also switch to a 3 bank charger.

Thanks. I will make the change soon. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't over thinking it. Right now I am working on the gen. Looks like I have it narrowed down to the starter. Should have the new part Friday...fingers crossed that fixes it. I hear the relay click, but not the solenoid engaging.