Marlin dirty bottom?

Hookster57

Reaction score
Yesterday I could not not get the boat to go faster than 17 mph! Both engines were putting out full power. I pushed each engine up separately and got 12 on each one which is about right. But both engines at full power would not go over 17.... I'm baffled. My boat buddy says its not a spun prop, it can only be a really dirty bottom. What do y'all think?

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Motors up to 12 ? without even knowing what motors you have I'm gonna guess twin 250 hp . They should turn up to somewhere over 5000 rpms each. Does the bottom look dirty ? it will be worse around the waterline. How long since boat has been ran, recently? Need more detailed info....

christo15

Reaction score
We had this exact problem after we hadn't painted the bottom of our boat for too long. A massive amount of barnacles collected and believe it or not REALLY slowed down the boat. Could that be a possibility?

christo15

Reaction score
So I was right! It's incredible how fast those things collect under the boat!

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
christo15 said:
So I was right! It's incredible how fast those things collect under the boat!
Cmon now Christo I beat you to the punch on this one!!!! Ha Ha ! :mrgreen:

Hookster, might be time for some paint LOL!!! :mrgreen:

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My boat is docked in fresh water and I boat and fish in brackish to salt water. Noticing a lot of algae growth on the bottom this year. Bottom paint is fresh.