Marlin Maximum Capacity (People)

Blue Angel

Reaction score
I have an '07 Marlin, and especially like to go offshore (50 to 70 miles) for albacore tuna off of the coast of northern California (out of Sausalito).

I am curious what you all believe to be the maximum people capacity of the Marlin for this type of trip. I realize that it depends upon many factors, the most important is sea conditions. Assume that the conditions are good.

I also realize that you can only comfortably handle about five active people actually fishing (besides myself), but how many people could you safely have on the boat? Is there a weight limit that you should not exceed?

The reason I ask is that my nine adult siblings are coming down for a fishing trip. I can easily handle them in San Francisco Bay for halibut and strippers, but going offshore with ten is another matter.

By the way, my dealer said that technically, the capacity of the boat is dictated by the number of seats, both inside and out. If you count all of the seats, that would indicate around fourteen.

Again, I realize that this is a technical view, and not necessarily viewed from a safety perspective, especially when you consider going offshore.

I do have all of the safety equipment, with the exception of a life raft. But, where we fish offshore, there are usually at least 50 other boats in the area. Sometimes, you have to be careful not to run into another boat while trolling.

I am open to your thoughts and opinions.

Tim

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You must have a vest for each person. Since you are far offshore these should be Type I. A properly registered EPIRB is also a must.

I prefer a max of 4-5 for offshore fishing although the Marlin has a huge cockpit for a 30' boat.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Not sure where you are counting 14 seats....

but how many of them have grab handles close at hand, or at situated such that the occupant can brace themselves adequately in a boat moving in a seaway...??

I don't know the right answer for your Marlin, but somehow TEN (10) doesn't seem quite right..

JMHO

Brian

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Ten is way too many PERIOD. Remember that bad things happen quickly on the water. I would hold a lottery for the five safe positions.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the average weight is 180 lbs then with ten people you have the potential for 1,800 movable lbs. in that hull. Just doesn't sound safe to me or that much fun when fishing. Even if you have the necessry vests, epirbs etc.
10 people inshore on the bay for a social trip would be crowded but relatively safe if conditions were calm.

Barlow46

Reaction score
I would take advantage of the getting in two days of fishing and taking 5 each day. In my opinion, 10 aboard is asking for trouble.