max 2 stroke engine hours

Lefty

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of variables to this question, but I'm curious to know what the feeling is out there on when it's time to repower. I'm running twin 2000 ox66 225's and have learned from this forum that they are a pretty reliable motor as long as they are properly maintained. I'd love to hear about anyone who has put serious hours on these engines and what they learned along the way. Thanks...

ROBH1965

Reaction score
I picked up this Spring a 1997 272 Sailfish with the original S225TXRV's, 375 hours on the motors. I just passed 400 hours on the motors and they are running fine. My last boat was a 1994 Adventurer with a Yamaha 150 S/W series, I had that for 7 years and it never gave me any trouble, it was sold to someone from my boat yard and so far this year they have had no trouble. From my experience Ring Free, Yamalube, new 10 micron filter/separator every year and frequent additions of fresh gasoline (very achievable with twin 225"s) are essential. We had a underwater construction company at my job last year and they had a 1999 Parker with a 250 Yamaha, the hour meter had long since broke but they estimated some 1200 hours on the motor without any major repairs. This boat works 12 months a year also. Hope this helps.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
:hmm They run till they die, 2 stroke can die in a few hundred hours or as many as a a few K. Depends on the maintenance and treatment of the motor. Oil and Water are the key, keep it lubed and cool and the fuel system clean, do the recommended maintenance (more frequent on an older motor 7-10yrs or older). Decarb is a must. Proper season storage. Can never use tooo much fogging oil. Enjoy every hour you get out of it. One day E15 will be the norm for fuel and we will all be using our 2 strokes for anchors.

shadow379

Reaction score
Saw some 2003 HPDI Yamaha 2 strokes with 3500hrs, still passed compression tests. Good service record, Gov't owned..

JayT

Reaction score
Well, all I have for you is good news. The OX66 has been regarded as the best outboard motor ever made! 2000-3000hrs are not unusual with this motor. There was a charter captain on another forum that said he had a pair still in service with 10,000hrs and only performed regular maintenance and very few minor repairs. Every mechanic I have spoken to claims it to be practically bulletproof. Do your maintenance and keep it around 4500rpms and it will serve you well. Let me know if you decide to sell. :wow