Metal Thru Hull in Transom Broken

A

Anonymous

I thought I saw a post on this not too long ago but can't seem to get the search engine to find it. I have a 1995 Spirit and today I found that one of the brass thru hulls that goes through the transom to drain water from near the outboard is cracked. I did not see how this could be replaced. Does anyone have any information on these?

Thanks in advance.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Is it a drain from the splashwell to the outside? Most of those things take a special flare tool. It presents no danger (other than maybe a wet transom eventually if not sealed), so put some sealer on it and go on about your business ...

amr72

Reaction score
I replaced mine back in June. You should be able to get them out if they are old and brittle like mine were. I basically chiseled them out with a screwdriver. You can find new ones at the local marine supply store. The hard part is finding the flange tool. But once you find that the job is easy. I put some epoxy in the holes and then put the tubes in. This way I never have to worry about water getting into the transom. But probably a little 5200 is all that is necessary.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I plan to put a little sealer on it to get me through the rest of this season and then I'll replace in January. When you replaced yours where did you find the flaring tool?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
No flaring tool for mine -

This was the break on my thru hull

brokenthruhull.jpg

A real pain to get too - but the hose pushed right on and was double clamped.

Tim

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You may have to go to a plumbing store to find the flaring tool, I'm sure a flaring tool for copper pipe would work if you can find one that size. Otherwise the marine supply store where you get the pipe from should be able to direct you to who may have one. You will want to put 3M 5200 on the inside of the copper pipe when you put the new one in to ensure the transom is sealed in this area since it will be wet. 5200 is the best for this application since it can be partially submerged or at waterlevel and may have water in the well from time to time to drain. 5200 can always be removed if it ever needs to be replaced, just use acetone in a spray bottle like a water bottle to work in the cracks and free it, it is the only thing I know of to free 5200 but I've done it many times before.