mixing ethanol/non ethanol fuel

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just read that mixing ethanol/non ethanol fuels will cause "gelling" in the fuel tank. Does anyone have information on this?
yb

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here a couple of links that mentions a gel problem when mixing E10 and MTBE containing fuel:

http://www.evinrude-parts.com/boat_ethanol_danger_precaution.html

http://www.star109.org/tech tips/Dr Jays Tech Tip E-10.htm

I have not been able to find any real documentation for this effect, however. MTBE and ethanol should not react chemically. Gel formation may be a brand specific problem. When phase separation (from moisture) occurs, many different ethanol soluble compounds in gasoline will distribute to the water/ethanol phase. So some fuel additives might be causing a gel formation.

The biggest problem with adding non-ethanol fuel to E10 is that the water holding capacity of the mixture is reduced. Adding gasoline to nearly saturated E10 will dilute the ethanol content and could result in phase separation. Gasoline holds less than 1/40th the water that E10 can keep in solution.

Some people have been able to switch back and forth between both types of fuels without any problems. I had a quarter of a tank of E10 in my boat when my marina switched back to non-ethanol gasoline. I did not have any issues and my Racor stayed clear. Again, problems could be dependent on the brand of gasoline (which contain different additive packages) or the amount of moisture held by the E10.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
I got a ton of red gelly guck and lots of fine, fine yellow particulates almost like sand when I inadvertantly mixed E-10 in with my MTBE fuel. Turns out this was just as my State was doing the changeover (Spring of year) to E-10 and the gas pumps were not yet marked (nor notice to the public). Royal PITA. Changed filters twice and was dropping the crude out all summer. My suggestion is don't do it if you can avoid it-stay one or the other.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The E10 is cleaning your never cleaned tank, that's the easy part to handle via filter changes, the other is when the water on the botom of the tank combines and phase separates, that's the worst of it.

BabyG

Reaction score
DO IT
DO IT

but do it in a small glass jar first, LOL you won't do it in your boat.

grady23

Reaction score
MTBE is BANNED everywhere in the US. The Non-ethanol fuel you get now is straight gasoline. If mixed with E-10 there is no problem. I would stick with the Non-ethanol if possible and not mix them. You may need different fuel stalbilizers if you mix them. I HATE E-10! I'd spend an extra 20-25 cents a gallon just to get straight regular fuel instead of E-10.

Gary M

Reaction score
I HAVE to mix E-10 and NON every year since the Bahamas does not have E-10 but my home fuel supplier does.

Here's what I do to fight any potential problems. I try to add "fresh" gas at home often. I'll put on 100-120 gallons more often each year than if I top off with the full 306 a few times each year. I use Sta-Bil, etc and add that to the tanks before the fresh gas gets added.

The E-10 that is delivered to the house is FRESH as the shiny/new trucks pick it up that morning at the huge fuel farm right next to Port Everglades where the refined gas is offloaded from the tankers. No gas coming in from 5-gallon cans from the local 7-11.....

So far, so good in over a dozen Bahamas trips over four summers that mix the two....