mojo rigs

Fishtales

Reaction score
Been hearing these have been hot in the NJ spring striper run this year. They are heavy though (16, 24 and 32 oz) and quite pricey. If anyone has been fishing them or has a line on a good deal, please advise. Thanks..

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
These have been hot for a few year now in the NY bight. If trolling depths to 40-45ft, you ant to go with the 8oz & 4oz combo - chartruese is the color of choice. I run them off St Croix Mojo Salt rods 6'6" MH 30-50lb. Line counter reels are the way to go with this setup - Shimano tekota's 600LC are the reel of choice. Spool up with 50lb braid and just tie off to the 3-way swivel that usually comes with the rig. As for the Mojo's themselves, my favorite are from Magic Tails. You want to run them about 5ft off the bottom at a troll speed of 3.5- 4.5kn. Getting the depth right can a bit of trial and error - i've been running them for years now and i just know when they are where they need to be, but the general rule is while stopped, drop them to the bottom, throttle up to your troll speed while letting line out until they hit bottom. Lock the reel up and give it 3-4 good cranks and that should put you n the zone. if im trolling 15-20ft of water, i have about 120ft out. 25-35ft, anywhere from 200-300ft. You have to play with it till you get a feel. They are deadly!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I hate trolling but they work great. When you can't find live bunker for bait they can save the day. Really hate wire line.
I use 40# Power Pro Depth-Hunter colored braid. different color every 25 feet and tick marks every 5 ft. You can tell where you are at and most important, you can get back to the depth that gets bit.
I'll only pull 2 at a time off the corners, one heavier than the other. The 32oz are too much I think unless you are in 60-70 ft and they are hugging bottom.
fishing 2018-11-12 at 8.16.33 PM 2.jpg