Motor Trim Indicator

RICHNLE

Reaction score
First time out this season, and everything worked great except the motor trim indicator was not functioning properly. It was reading 5 bars (all the way up) no matter where the motor was trimmed. Anyone know what might be wrong? It worked fine all last season. I have a 3 year old F150. Thanks!

Rich

seabob4

Reaction score
If you look under the lower pan of the powerhead just behind the tilt tube, you'll see a circular "switch" with a spring loaded arm on it. This is the device that tells your trim indicator where your motor is at, trim-wise. These arms get hung up due to corrosion and gunk. With the motor trimmed all the way down, see how easy that arm is to move, and note any changes in how many bars your gauge shows. A lot of times a couple good soakings with PB Blaster will take care of the problem...
cheersemoticon-1.gif

georgemjr

Reaction score
With motor trimmed all the way "UP." You will notice the arm on the starboard, inside of the motor bracket. They do get stuck, but it would normally be stuck in the full down position. When the motor is trimmed down, it will move the arm to that position. If it is a little "stuck," the spring will have difficulty returning it to the up position as you trim up.

RICHNLE

Reaction score
Thank you both for your help. I found the problem. There is a plastic part that is attached to the steering tube. This part functions as a cam that drives the trim sensor, and it had broken. Seems like a very cheap part for the quality of engine. Luckily it does not appear to be expensive and is quite easy to replace. I manually rotated the trim sensor and it is working properly on the display.

Rich

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
RICHNLE said:
Thank you both for your help. I found the problem. There is a plastic part that is attached to the steering tube. This part functions as a cam that drives the trim sensor, and it had broken. Seems like a very cheap part for the quality of engine. Luckily it does not appear to be expensive and is quite easy to replace. I manually rotated the trim sensor and it is working properly on the display.

Rich

The plastic cam has been replaced by Yamaha with a SS cam. The part runs about $13 or so....

seabob4

Reaction score
RICHNLE said:

Rich
That is a good thing!