Motor trim

Willis3

Reaction score
What in the world? Just put my boat in water after getting fuel lines replaced and once underway the trim motor kicked on by itself tilting the motor up out of the water. Using switch on throttle wouldn't stop it. Stopped, lowered motor, powered up and again ghost trim kicks on and doesn't want to stop til motor is all the way up. Anyone with ideas? Thnx

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You most likely have a short in one of your trim switches. Either the one on the throttle or the one on the engine. Disconnect one at a time to isolate the problem.

You need a wiring diagram for you engine harness to locate the correct plug for the switch on the throttle lever. Disconnecting the switch on the engine should be obvious.

If disconnecting the switches doesn't work, you have a short in the trim motor.

westar

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
Exact same thing happened to my buddy and I on his 263 chase back in April. Turned out the be a short in the trim switch at the engine. Disconnected switch, no more problem.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Happened to me, as well. Good news is the plug is just inside the switch on the motor pan.

If you want to replace it, it's an easy fix. The switch is held in place by a bracket. Remove the bolts and the switch pops out. It's not cheap - I paid close to $100 for mine if I recall.