Mounting a windlass on a 1988 Grady White Sailfish

Capt Harv

Reaction score
Website
www.vetcraftsportfishing.com
I am planning on purchasing and mounting a Lewmar profish 700 on my 1988 Grady White Sailfish. Wondering if anyone has mounted a windlass on this model boat? My main concern is modifications needed to the anchor rode locker and repositioning the main cleat. Thanks.

JeffN

Reaction score
Did you find anything out about your install? I am curious about it too. Getting old I guess.

toolguy73

Reaction score
I mounted one on my 87 Gulfstream this spring. Your bow area looks similar.

In the locker, the all thread came out, along with the gizmo that's bolted to the bow eye. The bow eye is now bolted to an 8" piece of 1/4 x 1/4 x 2" ss angle iron, with radiused ends for smoothness. It also has a hole drilled into it for a clevis that's tied to the bitter end of the rode. The bow cleat was put back but turned 90 degrees for clearance. I only use it to 'safety tie' the anchor while underway. The locker holds 250' of 1/2" 8 plait, and 30' of 1/4" chain. There's room in there for another 100' of rode.

The windlass was through bolted onto the locker hatch and through the anchor stowage area with reinforcements at 6 places. The rode falls into the locker nearly where the anchor shaft was stowed. The hatch is fixed in place now.

The bow chocks were replaced with Attwood 8" Hershehoff solid cleats. These are exact duplicates of the spring and stern cleats, and the bolt holes line up with the holes for the chocks. These 2 full sized cleats seem more useful than that single one. I added a full-sized triangular piece of epoxied 3/4" marine plywood to the underside of the anchor deck and everything is through bolted, with fender washers.