Mounting Fish Finder in Electronics Box - Gulfstream

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Couldn't find exactly what I was looking for while searching.

Purchased a 232 Gulfstream which has an older model Raymarine C120 display incorporating radar, gps and sounder.

I'm not ready to replace and upgrade all of the electronics but I have a Garmin echomap 95sv which I will take from my old boat. I think I'd like to add it to the boat as well and put it up in the electronics box.
Is this easy, or hard to do? Is there a conduit for running wires?

thanks for the help

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
On my '96 GS there's a pipe similar to the hardtop frame that runs from the dash electronics box up to the overhead one. It's plenty wide enough to run just about anything you'd want through it.

Reactions: Bird Blaster

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have the 2004 Gulfstream and my Raymarine ES9 is in my upper box, works great in that area.

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Placed my Simrad GO9 in the lower electronics box. Works better for viewing for me.
1998 Gulfstream 232G w/hardtop.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Just finished installing a new 943xsv, Standard Horizon 1850 VHF, GPS 24xd receiver and Shakespeare 5241 3' VHF antenna in the overhead. I decide to box mount vs. flush mount. Great visibility and out-of-sight security.

IMG_1279.jpeg

Reactions: Bird Blaster

BlueFlu15

Reaction score
I was thinking of updating my gps/ fish finder, and putting it in the overhead of my Seafarer similar to your setup. Did you need to run an external GPS antenna? My current gps/fish finder was on the boat when I bought it and is probably 10-12 years old and has an external gps antenna. Curious to see if they are still necessary.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was thinking of updating my gps/ fish finder, and putting it in the overhead of my Seafarer similar to your setup. Did you need to run an external GPS antenna? My current gps/fish finder was on the boat when I bought it and is probably 10-12 years old and has an external gps antenna. Curious to see if they are still necessary.

Not sure about other units but i just pulled out my old ones and they had external gps like yours. My 2 new units didn’t as it looks like it’s integrated in the unit already.

Just check to see if there is anything spliced to them as you may lose functionality as a result.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The newer Garmin units have a internal GPS antenna. My 943XSV has one. They work fine under the hardtop in most situations. My 4208 unit shipped with a GPS 17x NEMA 2000 receiver. When I upgraded I took all the 4208 equipment out. I had been wanting a heading sensor so I added a GPS 24xd (GPS 19x and heading sensor). The GPS 24xd is identical in side to the old GPX17x so it filled the holes. It is complete overkill but it makes me happy!

IMG_1279.jpeg

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Blue,,,I guess I'm old school as I still run the external GPS antenna. I replaced all my electronics back in '17 when I bought my 228, with Lowrance Carbon 7's and installed the Point-1 antenna. Fast forward to this past October and I replaced the Carbon's with a Simrad NSS12 Evo3 and still have the Point-1 active. The units have internal GPS antennas, but I like the idea of having the external antenna,,, no question of if the GPS will have a clear, unobstructed view of the sky.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Just FYI, my ICOM up in the hardtop has an internal gps antenna. I also have 2 internal antenna machines in the dash. The dash machines both have good reception, the hardtop radio does not. Not sure if that speaks to the ability of the ICOM antenna or not just wanted to give some food for thought.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have my VHF up there. As stated, the aluminum pipe works well. In some of the boats, power is already up there. Just remember if you ever do any pipe work, you have to pull the wiring to eliminate insulator melting.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Just FYI, my ICOM up in the hardtop has an internal gps antenna. I also have 2 internal antenna machines in the dash. The dash machines both have good reception, the hardtop radio does not. Not sure if that speaks to the ability of the ICOM antenna or not just wanted to give some food for thought.
I guess I won't know till I mount it. I am most interested in the underwater view vs the GPS. The GPS I will primarily use on the older C120 on the dash. For a few years anyways until I've decided how I want to upgrade.