Mounting radar display

TBone

Reaction score
Hello all!,

Getting excited for the first launch. I am installing my new Furuno 1623 radar on my 1994 Sailfish and I am having trouble deciding where to mount the display. I think in the top box on the hard top may be too tight of a fit and Im not looking to flush mount it. The spot on the dash to the left of the lower box looks good but how could I hide the wires so its not ugly?

Looking to see any other options and if you have any pics that would be nice to....

Thank you and happy boating!!!!

Tony L.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I hung my screen on the bottom of the top box on the hardtop. Very little exposed wiring.

TBone

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Did hanging it there create any major blind spots or block your field of view?

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, you definitly know that it is there, but it is not bad at all. Mine is mounted under box on the port side, facing helm. It is up off the dash, so there is vision beneath it, plus both sides. Many are mounted this way. I would recommen however, to go by a local marina and look at various mounting locations.

HaleNalu

Reaction score
On my 92 Sailfish I mounted my Furuno 1621 screen to the left of the hardtop box, angled back towards the helm. It was out of the way and within clear view. In that location it is not within reach to change the settings without leaning over, but once set there is not much I ever changed on my radar except occasionally zooming in and out.

Gary M

Reaction score
Former 1994 Sailfish owner.

A "wise" man once told me to place the important electronics (radar & chartplotter), "in front of you"........ IE: NOT in the overhead box. In my Sailfish, I had my fishfinder and GPS in the lower box......

In my current boat, a 2001 Marlin, I installed and flush mounted, the Furuno NavNet GPS chartplotter/radar in the lower electronics box and I LOVE it!

Bimini2009056.jpg

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tbone,
Another option you should look at is purchasing a Seaview Pod to mount the display. It can be mounted directly to your hardtop (outside the upper electronics box) and the unit will tilt and swivel.

They have a model that has the cutouts for a Furuno 1623 so the fit and finish should be first class.

Here's a link to their page:

http://www.seaviewglobal.com/en/products/282

freddy063

Reaction score
I have the same boat, my radar is used in fog, mounting the unit low so you don't have to keep looking in different areas was the reason I kept it down where I look when it foggy out, its on my glove box to starboard side. That Works for me.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a Furuno 1751 on my 97 272. The display was mounted in the port corner next to the box. It was angled toward the helm and was reachable with a tad of leaning. Since it hung over the cabin entrance anyone walking down cleared it without ducking. I have some pix somewhere if you need to see it. The location was ideal in terms of eas of use and no blocking of forward vision. I used kmart cheepo shower caps as a dust cover.