Mounting Scotty Downriggers on a 226/228

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm sure that many of you Northwest guys have Scotties on your boats. I'm interested in putting a pair on my 226. I found that the standard mount doesn't clear the edge of the narrow gunwale by enough to allow the riggers to be tilted up completely. So it looks like I'm going to need to use either the swivel or pedestal mount in order get enough clearance.

My question is: Is there enough space under the gunwale to use a backing plate? With the standard mount that comes with the unit, it looks like there might not even be enough space to use washers.

How are your Scotties mounted?

fishindad

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm up in Vancouver Canada, and have a couple electric Scotties on my Gulfstream 232... I would suggest you use the swivel mounts always when mounting Scotties, it simply gives you way more options. Both my bases are mounted directly forward of the aft cleats and work fantastic!

If you would like to see some photos, I can post them the next time I'm at the boat.

Good luck!

mkslug

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We mounted ours just forward of the rear gunwale rod holders, on the swivel mounts. Had a machine shop cut stainless backing plates for them that fit under the gunwales. They work pretty easy from that position. I took a picture yesterday while we were salmon trolling, hope it helps give you an idea if you haven't already done it.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 4,013

Clockwork

Reaction score
isn't the top rail pretty thick? i can't access the bottomside on mine. i had scottys on my last boat (not grady but similar) and i found that with large #14 i think screws with the correct hole size and 5200 adhesive the downrigger aint going anywhere.

if you really are concerned and want to use through bolts, you could make a simple bracket or mounting plate. through bolt the plate to the boat and bolt on the DR mount to the plate. i've also done this with success.

yellolab

Reaction score
Good timing on this topic, I'm figuring out where/how to best mount mine on a Tournament.

I was thinking of a piece of white teflon cutting board from Walmart(cut to ~4"X6") as a backing plate(with big washers) under the gunwale. I am thinking would provide some conformity to the irregular surface of the underside of the gunwale and not flex crack the gelcoat like a steel backing plate might.

So the "sandwich" would go: dowrigger->swivel mount->gunwale->cutting board backing plate->washers->nut

Thoughts ?

Kevin

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the replies. I am going with the swivel mount also. They will be mounted about where mkslug has his.

mkslug, how do you have the plug mounted under the gunwale in your setup? I was going to put mine under the seat where you have your speaker. But I have vertical rod holders there and it will be a little awkward.

I would advise against using plastic as a backing plate. I've used it several times for other applications over the years and I've always found that the bolts have to be tightened again as the washers "set" into the plastic. I am going to use 1/4" aluminum plate.

Pete1313

Reaction score
No question on swivel base....

I've got them mounted as far aft as practicable on my voyager. Makes turning easier.

I don't have backing plates, but I did use as big of a fender washer on each screw as I could get in there. I even ground one side down a bit so it'd fit in.