Move up to Gulfstream 232

pessacake

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hello!

I am currently in a 1996 226. It's a great boat but I feel the notched transom is a ticking time bomb! a 1998 232 is for sale nearby with a single 250 ox66. I have thought of moving up to a 232 and staying there for a while but think a 2 motor setup would be more ideal.

Any opinions? 2 rig setup is much harder to find around me.

Also, has anyone repowered a 98 232 to 4 stroke? Or gone from the single grady mount to 2? Much of my mindset is the closed 232 would be more feasible to repower than the 226 which is probably due for a complete transom rebuild to 228g.

Thanks!
Greg

Last edited:

reel cookin

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hello!

I am currently in a 1996 226. It's a great boat but I feel the notched transom is a ticking time bomb! a 1998 232 is for sale nearby with a single 250 ox66 (at ~25k and clean). I have thought of moving up to a 232 and staying there for a while but think a 2 motor setup would be more ideal.

Any opinions? 2 rig setup is much harder to find around me.

Also, has anyone repowered a 98 232 to 4 stroke? Or gone from the single grady mount to 2? Much of my mindset is the closed 232 would be more feasible to repower than the 226 which is probably due for a complete transom rebuild to 228g.

Thanks!
Greg
Hi Greg,
i have a 2004 gulfstream that repowered 2019 with a 300 hp yamaha from a 225hp. The 300 moves the 232 very nicely 42 mph and 31 at 4700 rmp with 2.3 mpg. I fish the Chesapeake and a little in the ocean. Its just a great Boat all around.
Hope this helps.
Soenke

seasick

Reaction score
I agree with Reel cookin, 300 HP is the best solution for a single. Twin 150s for twins. Max rating for that hull is 350hp so twin 200s is not an option There is a lot more work to convert to twins including possible new tanks , fuel plumbing and all the actual motor rigging. I also don't know iif the bracket was the same for the single and twin rigging. If not, that is also may be a big hurdle. That year Gulfstream can in two different models, 223G and the 223GT. I wonder if the GT is the twin option.

Reactions: pessacake

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I went from a Seafarer to a 2004 Gulfstream the upgrade was remarkable. The Gulfstream rides and handles like a much bigger boat and you feel much safer with a full transom over what your have now. My 04 had a single F 225 4 stroke and I never had any complaints about the power or speed of the boat with a full load and crew. The one complaint i did have was backing her up with a single on a bracket can be tough but somehow we always managed. Twins would be good if the budget can afford it. Remember twins mean more power, more maintenance, more fuel insurance etc. That being said I have twins F250s now on a Sailfish and I would not go back to a single engine.

Reactions: pessacake

pessacake

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thank you all, great intel. I do need to back into my slip and think I'd like the added security offshore with 2 motors.

Last edited:

pessacake

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Soooo I am blessed! I sold my 226 very quickly. I have an agreement (pending trim unit repair), on a 98 232 with a single 250 ox66. In the meantime, a previous contract reached out to let me know he is selling his 99 232 with twin 150 ox66 + a 2020 trailer for about $8k more. I would say the 99/twin is better equiped with pulpit, newer electronics, etc.

Any thoughts!
Greg

Reactions: coldpizza

Mgaul1

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as OP here, although I have a newer 228G which I absolutely love. Especially after building an in-deck insulated fish box in place of the auxilary tank, fits large YFT perfectly and all the weight forward made the up sea ride improve tenfold!

My question, how is the up sea ride on the Gulfstream compared to a bow heavy 228? Do you experience more pounding with the wider beam? It's rough here most the time in Hawaii, so up sea ride is very important for me.

I also am not a fan of the transom on the Gulfstream, feel like I have a huge dancefloor on the 228G with in-deck fish box, anyone know the interior dimensions of the 297 quart transom fish box on the gulfstream? Not sure if it's long enough for larger tuna 100-200lbers.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
i went from a Seafarer to a Gulfstream. The ride and seaworthy capabilities are far superior in the Gulfstream. The Gulfstream is a 23 footer but anyone who has ever rode in one will tell you that it handles and rides like a much bigger boat due to the weight and the beam.

pessacake

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The twin rig ended up being less clean than the single ox66 250hp. I felt a lot more comfortable with the state of that hull/accessories! Took her up three hours from Marion to Boston harbor and she did wonderful!

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you can afford the extra 8K I would go with the twins assuming they are both in good condition. More horsepower and maneuverability
I agree. A great boat with twins on the transom.