Moving fuel tank forward on 226

stmry

Reaction score
I need to repower my 1997 seafarer 226. I was thinking of an e-tec 225 or 250(100lbs heavier than original engine). It seems all new engines weigh anywhere from 50 to 150lbs more than my 200 saltwater carbed engine. To help compensate for the additional weight on my transom, i was considereing shifting the fuel tank forward into the area provided for the optional auxillary tank. My question is, How far forward should i move the main fuel tank? It could probably go forward 4-5 ft.
Grady c.s said the partition between the fuel tank and space for aux. tank can be removed as it is non-structual.
Also, are the 200 hpdi engines any good? They only weigh 50 lbs more, but Ive heard this was their last year for production, and i don't want to buy something that may be obsolete.
Thanks alot.
Steve

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The previous owner of my 228 moved the tank all the way forward to make room for a larger water tank aft. I think it works out great that way.

However, if weight is your only issue, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I tested my boat when looking at changing to a (HEAVY) F250 last year (ended up fixing my motor instead). Even when plopping my 200-lb. body on top of my motor, the water level/scupper height didn't change much. Your 226 doesn't have the leverage of a bracket, and the weight gain is no where near that; I don't believe you'll have any issues.

I've always heard great things about the 200 HPDI, and would have considered it over the F250 for mine (eliminating ANY weight issue), but felt I needed the power for my heavier boat. Mine has the hardtop, lots of gear, etc.

Good luck!

bigk23surf

Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea, I would like to see some pics of it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You can always buy whatever motor you want and see how it works out, then move the tank later if a problem occurs.

ronnie 228

Reaction score
fuel tanks

I have a similar question. I have 1999 228 seafarer with 200 hp saltwater series II. Am considering repowering with 250hp. Given the extra weight understand proper thing to do is to move fuel tank forward. However, would rather add extra fuel capacity and am wondering if doing so would accompllish the same thing and/or do I need to be concerned that adding the extra tank will simply result in too much additional weight. Aprreciate any insight or guidance anyone can provide, as well as suggestions on where to find the best/most functional tank. thanks

VinMan

Reaction score
I don't know if this helps but the scuppers on my 06 228 are always under water. It bothered me so I only use the forward 48 gallon tank. I leave the aft tank empty and the scuppers are higher now. If I only had one tank, I would want it as far forward as I could get it. I wonder what Grady has to say about a single tank's placement. I'll bet it is not a problem to move it forward.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What really matters is if water gets on your feet back there. The position of the scuppers relative to the water line isn't directed related to the water on the feet condition.

If you don't want the scuppers anywhere near water line, irrespective of wet feet or not, buy a different boat.

Capt Khaos

Reaction score
Just for the record, my '02 228 has an F250 on it and no scupper issues (other than the fact that they're plastic). I thought I read about an new '06 Seafarer (226 or 228?) that GW came out and moved the main tank forward for the guy. It may have been done at the dealership. I'm pretty sure I read about that here.
Cheers,
Dan