Moving up... Learning Curve

capeguy

Reaction score
Got the admiral's OK to make the move from my Sportsman 180 to the Sailfish... Big step up.

Single 2 stroke to twin 4 strokes... Center console to cabin... Limited accesories to the whole shebang...

Clearly there will be a learning curve here with this move as I've never owned a boat this size. Any tips, cautions, etc. from you who have done this? I have 3 kids 5-10 yrs, any tips on how best to ensure their enjoyment?

Thanks!!!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Take her out with a buddy first to get to know the boat and how she manuvers, just don't pick a windy day to learn how to dock her. Get to know how to spin the boat with the motors, it comes in handy. After a long day of practice enjoy with the family.

Mjdap

Reaction score
I recently moved up to a Sailfish, from a 226, in the past month.

I know we all look at things differently but this is what I ended up doing so far:

1: While the boat was out of the water, I climbed over the boat, getting to know systems, relating to the manuals, and washed and waxed the hull. This allowed me to better understand the footprint and systems.

2: In the slip, I again worked the systems, cleaned and set up the boat for my liking. I worked out the battery configuration, shore power, anchor windlass, those kinds of things.

3: Then I slowly took it out, practicing using the throttles only for manuvering both spinning, and turning. Then took it out for a good ride, 360 degree turns, idle, shut it down, restart, and then brought it back in.

I think it is just a matter of getting use to the systems, dimensions and power. It is an awesome boat.

gw204

Reaction score
capeguy said:
Any tips, cautions, etc. from you who have done this? I have 3 kids 5-10 yrs, any tips on how best to ensure their enjoyment?

Go bigger!

Seriously, tried putting 3 kids in about that same range on a Sailfish. I got real crowded, real quick.

seasick

Reaction score
Slow speed maneuvering with twins is a lot different than a single. Your best bet is to have a friend who runs twins to go out with you and give advice and hints. Yes learn all the boat systems beforehand but realise that steering at low speed is more about throttles than it is about the wheel as is the case for a single. you are dealing with a lot more displacement and therefore momentum. The boat will respond quite differently than you are used to. practice make perfect. Over time, you will really appreciate twins.

Salinity Now

Reaction score
PIVOT point....thats biggest change I noticed on my newest change, I went from a single engine CC to a the 265 w/twins, and yes the operating two motors is considerbly different (you will find yourself second guessing alot and end up over acting with the throttles close to the dock) but the most notable thing Ive found is the sail area of the cabin and windsock the enclosure acts like with certain angles of wind.

Congrats on the green light for moving up, you'll love it!!! Espcially since once you really learn the boat, you'll realize that the boat being so much bigger will open up your fishing days ALOT.....what used to be 10kt days or less, can grow to 15-20!!!

Enjoy

ahill

Reaction score
Salinity nailed it.
I moved to a Sailfish from a 25 Mako with twins. Had a twin inboard prior but have been an outboard guy prior to th inboard.
Yamaha torque really helps twin maneuvering.
Biggest problem is the sail effect of any wind on the beam. Curtains down magnifies it.
Practice around a single piling and you'll learn the feel and reaction times.

capeguy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. sounds like the twins and the effects of wind are the biggest changes. Looking forward to learning!

I agree with Salinity, one of the major reasons for the move was to increase the number of fishable days, which this will really do. Not too many days around here with under 10knots that coincide with my time restrictions!

bc282

Reaction score
good decision!
-definitely will make more room for those on board resulting in a happier crew and experience
-also the ride quality will greatly improve as you going from 4-5000# boat to 9000# boat which means much more comfortable conditions in ruff seas
-extending the season by allowing you to go out when previously you may have stayed due to ruff water conditions
-more stable fishing platform with 9.5 foot beam
-safety and reliability with twins
-just watch your speed at the dock, only come in as fast as you're willing to hit the dock!

i made the jump a few years ago from a 22' WA to my Sailfish and it has been fantastic.

PS. get yourself a good autopilot, last year i added a Garmin AP and it has revolutionized my boating/fishing experience and don't know how i can do without it now.