My New Grady White Overnighter 204c

TonyD

Reaction score
So, I bit the bullet and became a happy owner of my 2nd Grady-White, '90 Overnighter 204c. So now for the time being I also still have the '89 Tournament 19. However, the Overnighter is powered with a 97 Yamaha 150 Saltwater Series motor. Runs pretty well but I have the Yam 150 4 stroke that's only 7 years old on the Tourny'. I'd love to swap the motors but wondering what is involved as far as compatibility with controllers and gauges.

-Currently the boat is in Florida at my Father In-Laws. I am not in a hurry to get it back up North considering it's December but I was wondering if anyone knows of any reputable and fairly priced transportation companies out there to move the boat (with trailer) from Florida to NJ?

I am going to have questions about the Overnighter for those Overnighter owners going forward from here. Here are a couple to start:

Does not have a canvas or cover. I know Grady does't have them anymore but there has to be a place that still makes them or has them?

Just missing a cushion for the jump seats at the stern. I am sure Grady doesn't have them either but is there a place where I can look?

Thanks everyone!!

39989.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lt.Mike

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Nice upgrade Tony, you will enjoy.
In terms of swapping engines, I think you’ll need a part like this, check harbor freight.

Reactions: Lt.Mike and TonyD

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Nice upgrade Tony, you will enjoy.
In terms of swapping engines, I think you’ll need a part like this, check harbor freight.

I picked up a foldable one ton crane from Harbor Frieght to swap my DT225's (470lb.s) on my Overnighter.
I had to raise the chain up to put the bolt thru the last link to get the hook as high as I could be then it did the swap like a champ.
IMG_2274 b.jpg

The engine I took off was set on an engine stand I welded up for it. It now resides in a corner of my garage as a possible parts source if needed.

IMG_2799 b.jpg

I have used that crane for dozens of things since.

The stands parts cut to size before I welded it up...

DSCN7940 b.jpg

Last edited:

TonyD

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely something I need to pick up. My neighbor has one too but I was thinking that I need two lifts - that's pretty clever though, Mike, the engine stand that you made. When the time comes, I am probably going to have a few questions, like already I am wondering if I will also need to swap the gauges with the motors or if I can leave them be and they will be compatible with the swap. The controllers too? That kind of stuff. :)

But first I need to get the boat home. Thanks for the suggestions and input!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Yeah, definitely something I need to pick up. My neighbor has one too but I was thinking that I need two lifts - that's pretty clever though, Mike, the engine stand that you made. When the time comes, I am probably going to have a few questions, like already I am wondering if I will also need to swap the gauges with the motors or if I can leave them be and they will be compatible with the swap. The controllers too? That kind of stuff. :)

But first I need to get the boat home. Thanks for the suggestions and input!
I'm in NJ too, Farmingdale 07727, so if you ever get down my way feel free to drop by. ;)

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
"Just missing a cushion for the jump seats at the stern. "

View attachment 23868
Funny, the only cushion mines missing is that center one on the bow of your boat in this pic !
Make sure you never trailer your boat with any of the cushions exposed to the wind or they'll blow out on the trip.

Reactions: TonyD

TonyD

Reaction score
I'm in NJ too, Farmingdale 07727, so if you ever get down my way feel free to drop by. ;)
nice! Yeah that's around by Freehold and Manalapan, Howell, etc -if I am not mistaken. I'll let you know if I am around the area.

TonyD

Reaction score
Hey all, happy spring to those in the North East!

Quick question: I had my Yamaha 4 stroke from my tournament hooked up to the overnighter. I was wondering if the thru bolts needed to be sealed completely with 4200 or something?
The bolt heads are sealed to the transom from the inside but what about the rest?

PXL_20220318_164140784.jpg

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
I bought a cover from National Covers last year. I am happy with it so far.

L5hHS8gty17FWT9ihXwfU0DWygGzQfQKnztkGp4AkEZ09_77vTGIRVamROpyaHXolAeuQXqvLAwBfwRaBsDPDexHlsZ3szzJfIi4HdZZ2hvDxs1BP1mghWZ8jG5lBg=s0-d-e1-ft
(1)GRADY WHITE BOATS 204 C O/B OVERNIGHTER l CUDDY CABIN
Fits 20'6" LENGTH up to 102" WIDTH
Color: Hunter Pine
30 DAY FIT GUARANTEE
FREE Cover Straps (set of 12)
FREE Floating Keychain (1)
ADD Ridgeline Anti Pooling System

TonyD

Reaction score
Hey all, happy spring to those in the North East!

Quick question: I had my Yamaha 4 stroke from my tournament hooked up to the overnighter. I was wondering if the thru bolts needed to be sealed completely with 4200 or something?
The bolt heads are sealed to the transom from the inside but what about the rest?

View attachment 25042
Just bumping this up - anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Countersink them and bed them properly with 4200. You don't want to get that wood transom wet.

Reactions: TonyD

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
4200 won't run during the time it takes to get everything seated. You can only countersink the gelcoat under the washers on the inside of the transom, not the nuts on the engine itself. The idea is to form a little better waterproof seal. Not necessary, but a good practice.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Inexperienced question - but how do I apply the 4200 without gravity screwing me up?

Countersink the nuts?
4200 is gooey. Gravity will have some effect but mostly it’ll stay in place. Use painters tape to contain the mess and provide for an easy clean up with a utility knife. By counter sinking the drill holes you are providing a place for the 4200 to create a gasket to seal the hole (and prevent Gelcoat cracking). Let the 4200 dry for 24 hours before really tightening the bolts so that the 4200 isn’t all squeezed out when wet. Use throw away gloves as it is gooey and can get messy.

TonyD

Reaction score
4200 is gooey. Gravity will have some effect but mostly it’ll stay in place. Use painters tape to contain the mess and provide for an easy clean up with a utility knife. By counter sinking the drill holes you are providing a place for the 4200 to create a gasket to seal the hole (and prevent Gelcoat cracking). Let the 4200 dry for 24 hours before really tightening the bolts so that the 4200 isn’t all squeezed out when wet. Use throw away gloves as it is gooey and can get messy.
Okay makes sense. ... the bolts are already tightened up with 5200 I believe he said he used. Not sure why they used 5200 but they should already be sealed up in there, not sure I want to crack it again.
They didn't goo up or fill up the area with sealer and I was wondering if that should be done. I asked the marina and they said no, that's the bolts are sealed to the transom from the inside. So I am guessing they lubed up the bolts and pushed them through.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I bought a cover from National Covers last year. I am happy with it so far.

L5hHS8gty17FWT9ihXwfU0DWygGzQfQKnztkGp4AkEZ09_77vTGIRVamROpyaHXolAeuQXqvLAwBfwRaBsDPDexHlsZ3szzJfIi4HdZZ2hvDxs1BP1mghWZ8jG5lBg=s0-d-e1-ft
(1)GRADY WHITE BOATS 204 C O/B OVERNIGHTER l CUDDY CABIN
Fits 20'6" LENGTH up to 102" WIDTH
Color: Hunter Pine
30 DAY FIT GUARANTEE
FREE Cover Straps (set of 12)
FREE Floating Keychain (1)
ADD Ridgeline Anti Pooling System

One bit of 2 cents I’d add on the cover is to buy one bigger than what they recommend.
You’ve got a 20’ boat so get a cover or at least A 22’ or even a 24’er. I have one from Cabelas a good one which is very well made but it’s a tough stretch with the bow rails and over the outboard. Not sure how it would do against snow though. I use it mainly to keep dust and pollen off the boat between trips and it all sits under a large carport.
If I buy another it’ll be for a 24’ boat.
Sorry don’t have a front shot of the cover but the cover goes over the rub rail everywhere but about 5’ back from the bow nose on each side.

Attachments

• 4688EFFB-7484-437E-8210-59395F20499B.jpeg
    4688EFFB-7484-437E-8210-59395F20499B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5