mystery water

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
so, last year i bought a 2000 Gulfstream which i absolutely love. I now understand the cult-like obsession! while at anchor at the beach, i noticed the forward bilge kick on and discharge water. i went into the cuddy, popped the inspection port and saw standing water.i manually pumped it out, going so far as to get a portable shop vac to pump out the water. Ive tested the thru-hulls with a hose and it doesn't seem to be coming from those. after I pump, water doesn't seem to enter but after I run the boat, I have water. I noticed this towards the end of the summer so its not something thats going to sink the boat but I am stumped as to where the heck its coming from. any one else have mystery water?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Boy, you probably hold the record for the longest "joined time" for this site and the most posts without actually owning a Grady!

You may have previously read that with most Grady's, the fwd bilge is slightly lower than the aft bilge. So if there's water in the aft bilge, then after running the boat, it's conceivable that water sloshed it's way fwd. For now, evacuate ALL water (including aft bilge) and then see if it comes back and we'll go from there.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When you are at anchor, the water runs forward from the bilge, and the bow gets pulled down by the rode. The float position in the aft bilge allows a fair amount of water to accumulate before the pump turns on.

The forward bilge is quite low because of the shape of the hull. So the water doesn't completely drain back to the aft bilge when the boat is on plane. Every once in a while, I pump it out into a 5-gallon bucket using a hand pump I keep on board.

Reactions: Don Davis

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
my 270 gets a wet bilge too. one trip I heard the forward bilge cycling every hour or so as I was sleeping. The next day I found the live well hose coming out of the pump had cracked at the hose barb and was peeing a stream into the bilge. ive fixed that leak but I still find a little water in the bow. you will have to check every hose, thru hull and drain to see where its coming from, and check the freshwater tank plumbing too

Fishtales

Reaction score
Determine if fresh or saltwater. Then the game commences. Windows, hard top stanchions, storage areas (where water can wash over or come in contact with), cup holders, anchor rode, rub rail intrusion, plumbing and fixtures, hoses and thru hulls first things to check.

Gulffisher

Reaction score
If you boat in anything other than calm seas, you might be getting some water from the cap rail. They can leak.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
its definitely salt water. I thought it may be rain/topside water to the point I've taped off my anchor locker and i still have water. I'm on the hard now for the winter so my next move is to flood it from the inside & hopefully see where it leaks out

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
its definitely salt water. I thought it may be rain/topside water to the point I've taped off my anchor locker and i still have water. I'm on the hard now for the winter so my next move is to flood it from the inside & hopefully see where it leaks out
Bad idea. Just setting yourself up for mildew growth when you flood water into areas that don't normally see water and don't have good drainage to the bilge or good air flow to rapidly evaporate. Check your systems as the guys have mentioned by pressuring up each system after placing absorbent, colored rags under each connection so you can tell if you have a drip. If that all checks out, put a lawn sprinkler on to spray your boat for an hour or two with it uncovered as you would use it. Still no leaks? Then use a garden hose to spray nozzle shooting up under the rub-rail all around the boat. It can be tough to locate as you know.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So, this happenes after you have been underway and on plane.(you said anchored at the beach).
When you get on plane all of the water in the bilge should have run back and been pumped out(except that tiny bit the pump doesn't get)
There should not be enough water left in the bilge to set off the fwd bilge pump.
So anchored at the beach you must be taking on water. Since the bow is lowest point, it will fill first.
I am assuming you are not wetting the deck by way of the washdown. If so, it can be deck drains/hatches/ports leaking to the bilge.
It can be piehole ports in the motorwell if you have them.

Look at the thruhulls and hoses and especially look at the livewell pump. I have had recurring problems with the twist-on Rule pumps leaking.

Close all valves and see if you still have problem.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That test, alone, does not decisively determine if it's fresh water or salt. There's still other ways both salt and rain water can get in. The first thing is as I mentioned above. Then proceed with other tests to narrow down the possibilities. BUT... you could taste the water...

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you are on the hard, go out there at night and have someone shine a light from outside all under the cap and vents, where pulpit attaches, anywhere you can think of. If you are inside you may be able to find it. If it only comes in when running the boat, I'd guess its coming in above water line but below the rub rail.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I would closely inspect your 6" "push in" inspection ports (aka deck plates).
The gaskets, if not replaced, are 24 years old and probably leak alot.

I replaced most of my push in plates with the screw in kind which seal much much better.
I used 6" Beckson brand deck plates in almond color as I recall.

I'm not sure about the Gulfstream, but any of these inspection plates back by the splash well (just forward of the outboards) are likely sources for leaks since water can slosh around back there (my 330 has this). They guys above are correct - any water sourced from anywhere will likely flow forward to the deepest part of your bilge (i.e. forward, deep vee, area).