Nav lights / Anchor light not working

Liberty

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I have LED nav / anchor lights - When I try the switch on the panel it sounds like the resettable breaker trips and then resets. The switch light never comes on but when I look at the nav lights they periodically blink (thinking the breaker trips and resets?). The anchor light never comes on in either switch position. Wondering if it's possibly a switch issue or ???? This is a 2022 257 so shouldn't really be a wiring issue...maybe a broken ground? Only other thing I can think of is the dealer I purchased the boat from replaced the underwater lights which also don't seem to work. Any thoughts on where I should start???

Thank you,

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not my strong suit, but I would think that there are two load positions on the back of that switch, one for NAV, and the other for anchor only. I would start by unplugging them one at a time from the switch, and if the lights came on, I would look for a short in the one that was unplugged at the time.
On second thought, I might start by unplugging both, and using a test light to see if I had power to both poles, and if the click was still there with no + wires attached.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Nav light switching can be confusing. LED's make it worse. Typical Nav light have two circuits. In Nav mode the Port and Starboard lights are powered. The anchor light has a blocking diode to NOT illuminate the forward sector when underway. Only the aft sector is lit. Both sectors are lit if vessel is at anchor.

This is where it gets complicated. Led's will only light in one direction. So depending on how the lights are wired to the switch you may or may not have proper lighting. This is more likely a problem when someone with an older boat decides to switch to led's vs. old style incandescents. To save a wire boat manufactures wired the anchor light with two wires. They reversed the polarity to the light to turn the aft sector on or both sectors on.

Last edited:

Liberty

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Mystery solved - I took the panel off and checking the switch, pulled the connectors off cleaned and replaced, nav lights started working. I think it was just a little corrosion. Thanks for the advice though. Good info

Reactions: brdawg2001