need 2 fix scratches after soda blasting what to use?

rcgtsport

Reaction score
after bottom paint was stripped there are scraches that need to be fixed and dont know what to use. in one spot its down to green fiberglass. went to couple stores to see what they have, want to know whats best? i going to try it on my own i work in autobody just not firmilar with fiber glass. i saw interlux epoxy, marine tex, or 3m filler?does anyone have ideas or tips?

seasick

Reaction score
It's thought to say without seeing the 'scratch' but if the fibers are exposed, you may need more extensive repairs such as sanding or grinding the area out and layering some glass cloth bedded in epoxy ( like the West Systems line of products). If the scratch is not too bad and you will be painting the area, Marine Tex will work. That stuff gets really hard and is tough to sand so get it on as even as possible. Read the directions of course for surface prep. The color probably won't match but that us not an issue if you are going to repaint.
If you blasting removed any gel coat, you should also barrier coat with something like Interlux Interprotect 2000 before bottom painting. If you use that coating, read and follow the directions exactly as specified.

bfrank

Reaction score
seasick said:
If the scratch is not too bad and you will be painting the area, Marine Tex will work. That stuff gets really hard and is tough to sand so get it on as even as possible. Read the directions of course for surface prep. The color probably won't match but that us not an issue if you are going to repaint.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I used Marine Tex to fill some gouges on my topside and it worked quite well. Sands pretty easy as long as you get to it shortly after it dries. That stuff dries hard. If you are planning on re-painting this is probably your easiest/cheapest fix.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Marine tex is ok above the waterline. It isn't waterproof as I understand it. You can buy premixed gel coat to install over the repair.