Need advice for repowering a Seafarer

Timotheius

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Seafarer 228. My 1994 Yamaha 200 HP (900 hours) just blew its gear case assembly this weekend, mechanic says it will cost around $3,000 to replace with a rebuilt one (labor included). I am thinking it probably makes sense to repower at this point, rather than invest 3 grand in an old motor.

Has anyone repowered a Seafarer recently? I am looking at the Yamaha F200. I had plenty of power with my 200 hp 2 stroke...will a 200 hp 4 stroke be a little underpowered? People say they don't have the same low-end torque. Also, since my boat has the motor bracket, does the extra weight of a 4 stroke end up making the scuppers rest underwater at dock? Should I go with a 2 stroke HPDI because of the weight issue? Also, what sort of fuel ecomony do you get with your 4 stroke or your HPDI? Are you pleased with your repower?

I am really looking for advice from anyone who has recently repowered their seafarer...but anyone with knowledge/experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Tim

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
u can get a gearcase rebuild for like 1500

the 200f vs the 200hpdi is very close
the hpdi will be better for u

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just did this exercise with my 228G. The end result was an F200 would probably disappoint compared to an F250 (the weight is nearly the same). Search for my post, and you'll find a long, spirited debate about the overall weight issue. The summary is that my testing showed the weight to be no issue (and Grady agreed). I also recently spent a day with an F250 on another boat and loved it. Anyway, I solved my motor problem and didn't need to repower after all.

If you're happy with 200hp now, the HPDI is a great motor as well.

Timotheius

Reaction score
Thanks grouper,

Actually, I did some post searches last night and read your thread. Its some good info. I was curious to hear how things turned out, but its moot now if you never did the repower.

Do you think the fact that my seafarer was a 1994 makes any difference? It is still SV2 hull, but some would say it won't work because 1994 was a "pre-4 stroke era" boat, and not designed to handle the weight.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah, mine is an '88, so it's WAY pre-four stroke and even pre SV2. You could try the same over-exagerrated test I did; go back and sit on your motor while someone measures the waterline/scuppers. That's more than double what the change will really be.

In addition, I don't think they've changed the SV2 hull significantlly since it came out, and they put 4S engines on all of them now. Frankly, the last time I looked at a new 228, I was shocked how similar everything was to my '88!

Do you have a hardtop? I believe that helps the balance.

Timotheius

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a hard top. Maybe that will help. I would like to try the "sit on the motor test", but it will just be a little hard to launch it and pull it out now without a working motor.

I found a pretty good deal on a new F250. Dealer is willing to let it go for $13,500 because it is counter rotating and a left over. Right now, I am really considering it.

Timotheius

Reaction score
So does that mean I would have to pump all the 87 octane gas out of my gastank? Or will they run ok on 87.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Timotheius said:
So does that mean I would have to pump all the 87 octane gas out of my gastank? Or will they run ok on 87.

Pump it out and give it to me :D . You can't nail a new engine so just run it down then refill with 89. It will only need the 89 when it has a good load on it plus the knock sensor will cut back the timing reducing the octane requirement (and power) but until the engine is broken in a little you're pretty much babying her.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Why not just get a used lower unit? There's usually some for sale on EBAY (probably $500). For $3000 you can get a running used '96 outboard, maybe newer OX-66. The mechanic is smoking something.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
'92 228 repowered 3-4 years ago w/ a 97 Yami 250 SWS II that sat in storage w/ about 100 hrs on it. If I was to repower again, not to say I'm even close to it now, 500 hrs., I'd definately go with another 2 stroke. I absolutely agree w/ Grog about finding a gently used OX, SWS II, HPDI. If you do decide to go new(er) I'd pick the E-TEC every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Timotheius

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. After a little more research, it does look like I still have a lot of life left in my motor if I can get the lower unit replaced. Even boats.net had a new yamaha OEM lower unit w/ a one year warranty for $1970. It shouldn't take much time in labor to put one of those on. I found a local dealer who said he can put a used one on for $1500 total.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Timotheius said:
Thanks everyone for the input. After a little more research, it does look like I still have a lot of life left in my motor if I can get the lower unit replaced. Even boats.net had a new yamaha OEM lower unit w/ a one year warranty for $1970. It shouldn't take much time in labor to put one of those on. I found a local dealer who said he can put a used one on for $1500 total.

Heck if you got hand tools and a cell phone, i will walk u right through it on speaker phone! E-Z

If you can pull the older unit off, u can put the new one back on! 8)

Reactions: Toomac

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Taking the unit off is a 2 on a scale of 1 - 10 (it's not that light). Putting one on is maybe a 3, you have to line up the shift rod. Definitely not a hard job. While it's out change the oil and water pump.

Timotheius

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm going to give it a try. I have orderd an OEM lower unit and am going to try to install it myself. I don't have a lot of experience working on outboard motors, so this will either by my finest hour or my greatest disaster. Stay tuned, I may need some help from the greatgrady faithful.