Need Gulfstream Info

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm currently restoring a 1989 Gulfstream 232G with twin 150 Oceanpros on bracket, and I'm trying to determine how many batteries it was originally built with, and their locations. Inside transom looks like pic below, with batteries located under those bait/livewells. Hoping someone may have a similar Gulfstream that could possibly post a pic inside that bilge area showing battery locations, etc. Appreciate any help. Already went to Grady website and there is no info on it there.
NOTE: pic is not my boat, but a similar one I found on web. My inside transom is all apart.

gulfstream inside transom.jpg

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, if it were me... and I bet the GW folks are a LOT smarter...It would have 3. 1 house and 2 cranks... 1 per engine.

I cannot imagine anyone would start with less. In fact, my 270 has 3, and I plan to add 1 or 2 more house batteries because I am CDO.. lol. I hate seeing battery power dictate what gets turned on or not....so,

I also plan to add solar panels to offset some power usage... no sense not using SOME of that hard top for solar.. and the roll-up kind..i.e. will find a price break, but not some huge thing that looks bad....does not have to offset much, just adding because I can heh.

Anyway, back to you. I would see how many battery switches it has.... I am betting it will be, or can be, or should be designed to have 3 batteries.

R

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sailfish is set up with an A/B switch with 3 batteries. The batteries are dual purpose with the port engine on the B or port switch position and then 2 batteries in parallel on the A position. With twin engines my guess is you would have a similar setup

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Russ & Legend, I think you are right about three batteries, especially with windlass, etc. I found three battery switches in inside transom area, but do not see room for three batteries in this small tight area. I was going to get at least size 27 batteries, but may have to scale down to 3-24s to fit them in, unless I relocate one or more of them. Thanks all for your replies.

Reactions: RussGW270

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Russ & Legend, I think you are right about three batteries, especially with windlass, etc. I found three battery switches in inside transom area, but do not see room for three batteries in this small tight area. I was going to get at least size 27 batteries, but may have to scale down to 3-24s to fit them in, unless I relocate one or more of them. Thanks all for your replies.
I run with 3 group 24 dual purpose batteries and never have battery power issues

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
My 1988 GW Gulfstream came set up for 2 batteries, one on either side (port & starboard, inside smaller hatches) with one battery switch on the starboard side: Battery Off, 1, 2, or Both.

Reactions: VeroWing

DogBone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 1993 Gulfstream has 1 larger (not sure of size) house battery behind the starboard door (in your picture) and 2 group 24 starting batteries behind the port door. I'm not sure if this is the original setup, but the weight balances well.

bac0701

Reaction score
3 group 24's here in a 265. I'd do the same if i were doing a 232

WOOF

Reaction score
My 1988 GW Gulfstream came set up for 2 batteries, one on either side (port & starboard, inside smaller hatches) with one battery switch on the starboard side: Battery Off, 1, 2, or Both.
It's now set up with a house battery as well. ;-) Hope you are well! Boat is truly a gem!