Need help with 1990 gulfstream wooden trim

polecritti

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here and just bought a 1990 gulfstream with a 2004 300hp yamaha hdpi. Overall the boat is in good condition, but I wanted to make some cosmetic improvements. The fake wood laminate trim that boarders the cockpit, rear deck etc. is ugly and discolored. Most of it is 2inches wide, and 1/8 inches thick. What are my options for a nice new replacement? I am considering buying actual teak or cypress, treating it and replacing all the fake trim.

what do you think?

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had a 1991 seafarer and what I did was just remove all the panels and painted them white. It what pretty easy and it looked much better. If you search my posts I am sure you can find my old boat in the for sale section. I believe there are before and after pictures.

Adam

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The other option is to take it all off and send it to Brown and Fin Addict Marine. Hes very reasonable and makes it all to size, even drills the holes in the right place out of starboard. I did the whole boat on my 94 Explorer added some bolsters and new cusions and it looked like new.
http://www.finaddictmarine.com/

lastresort

Reaction score
I agree with NikM820. What you need to do is sand the wood. Then paint it with something like Awlgrip.....looks fantastic.

polecritti

Reaction score
thank you for the replies so far. I've considered painting the trim panels and the starboard replacement so it is nice to hear from people who have done both and who are satisfied with the results. I really like the look of nicely finished teak on boats and have considered replacing all the trim with actual teak or maybe cypresss and finishing it with varnish or cetol. Does anyone have opinions on this option?

JeffN

Reaction score
I did my trim with Cetol a few seasons ago and it held up very well. The stuff in the cockpit area will probably have to be redone this winter. The trim in the cabin and around the helm area under the enclosure still looks great.

Brigator

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. How much did it cost to have it all replaced with starboard?

polecritti

Reaction score
Not sure where you got the idea that was replacing trim with starboard but I've priced starboard at 1/2" thick by 12" wide by 27" long = $54.00. I would rather keep a teak or wood look as I think starboard looks "cheap". However, if the real wood option becomes problematic or too expensive, i may settle for that option.