Need Your Thoughts-Yamaha Engine Recommendation

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Okay, I'm nearing the end of my search for a "new" motor for my 1991 Tournament 225 and would like to get some thoughts on what you think would be the best engine for my boat and any knowledge/ background you may have on these engines. Some background; I have two kids going to college in a few years so the admiral has pretty much said we're keeping this boat for ten years or until it sinks whichever comes first. I run 100% freshwater (Lake Champlain) and for the last few years the engine got about 40 hours of use per season. All of these engines are at GW dealers and were taken as trade ins for 4 strokes, so I feel good that they're all solid engines. Compression test results are good on all of them. The engines are:
1998 250HP OX66 Saltwater Series II ($3500)
1999 225HP OX66 Saltwater Series II ($4200)
2003 200HP HPDI ($7000)
We're under three feet of snow here in Vermont so I've been reading the GW forum every night to remember that spring is around the corner. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice!

Greatty

Reaction score
'99 225 ox66. Bulletproof. Take the savings, maybe be put it into the tank, as the ox66 will use more fuel than the HPDI. Good motor. Does anybody know if the '98 is fuel-injected or carborated?

Bill_N

Reaction score
Do you know what the hours are on these engines?

I'd rather have an OX66 with 250 hours than an HPDI with 900...

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
The HPDi has 245 hours. The OX66 didn't have an hour meter on them, so no idea. However, the '98 engine was a trailer'd boat. Both of the OX66 and the HPDI are no to little apparent corrosion in the pictures.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
hpdi is quieter, cleaner, and better on fuel and oil. They are the next best thing to a 4-stroke, some like them better, and they do accellerate quicker. If you have the $$ you would be much happier, 'specially with a 5-year newer motor. That's low hours, but make sure all the service is up to spec, impellor, thermostat, plugs, filters, etc. Make sure that old tank is clean the pump is good - lack of oil is what seems to cook those motors.

Sorry 'bout the snow...it was only 78 here yesterday, lots of sunshine. Maybe we'll get out for a cruise this weekend. 8)

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I chose to repower my old OX-66 with the HPDI. I run about 200+ hours per year. The savings in fuel economy will pay for theselves. With your 40 hour per year usage it may take longer than the life of the motor to recoup the difference in the cost of the more expensive engine. However, the reduction in smoke, and noise may be a benifet to you. I love my HPDI motors.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
like i said

nada has that HPDI at 5000-5600

off 4500 cash and i bet they take it

(i offered 40K on a 120K boat, guy actually called me back, LOL)

rigging is not 1400!, unless u brand new fuel flow meter and tach, with a 704 remote and 2 batteries and switch!!!!

uncljohn

Reaction score
Marty grady 272 said:
I chose to repower my old OX-66 with the HPDI. I run about 200+ hours per year. The savings in fuel economy will pay for theselves. With your 40 hour per year usage it may take longer than the life of the motor to recoup the difference in the cost of the more expensive engine. However, the reduction in smoke, and noise may be a benifet to you. I love my HPDI motors.

I run 100 hours/year, spend approx $1000/year on gas, and it would have taken me 18+ years to recoup the extra $ for the price of an HPDI over the OX66 in fuel economy. Its about 30% better fuel economy. Don't assume you'll get paid back in fuel economy. If, as you say, you use it maybe 50 hrs a year, you're looking at 25 years of fuel savings in order to break even!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you can get the HPDI for $4500 get it.

But is 200 enough for the boat?

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Hey All,
Great threads, thanks for all the information on the engines! I was glad to hear that Bama96 was able to confirm the 200 HPDI was a "strong" enough engine as I was a little concerned with that (by the way, Bama96 you're going to love your new boat). I've got a friend inspecting the '99 OX66 for me and then based on his feedback will make a decision on what to do. My preference would be the '03 200 HPDI but based on initial conversations they weren't moving the price. Although my guess is they've been sitting on the engine for at least 6-8 months so we'll see if money talks. If anyone knows or has heard of any engine sales for the 200 HPDI would love to hear what price it went for. Google came up with nothing. If money doesn't talk I'll go with the '99 or '98 OX66. I would think the market for large horsepower used 2 strokes would be pretty dead as most folks are re-powering with 4 strokes. Thanks again and keep it coming. The deal isn't done yet!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I guess the trade off is more HP less fuel economy and HPDI better fuel economy and less HP. Just wondering something and others may be able to answer this better. Would 50 hp less with the HPDI actually be a wash with the 250 SS motor?

Follow me here for a second, maybe the power band of the 250 is broader and the boat cruise better at perhaps a slightly lower rpm with the bigger motor compared to the rpm/speed range of the smaller motor? The smaller motor may have to work slightly or run a little higher RPM to generate the same amount of thrust as the bigger motor thus offsetting fuel economy/consumption of the 250? Wonder if Grady has any performance data laying around somewhere on this?

I have the 228 and the 250 seems to be perfect for it, but it is a heavier boat, so I will take the word of bama and others the 200 would be fine...

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Hey All,
Thanks again for all the input, it was good stuff and helped. In the end the decision was made for me. I offered $5500 for the HPDI and the counter was $6500, so I said thank you very much and we're going with the '99 OX66 225. I'll be able to report in May if it was a good choice!

ScottM

Reaction score
Congrats on the engine. As others have said, you are going to love it. They are a real workhorse with lots of midrange power. My father bought a rebuilt carb'd '97 for his 23' SeaCraft in '04 and after 600-700 hours it has been problem free.

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Yes, May. I live in Vermont so depending on the winter we have, the ice will break up in late April and we're on the Lake. I keep my boat on Lake Champlain which is about 120 miles long by 10 miles wide. Lots of fun in the summer. So, Bama '96 when you want to trailer your new ride up here let me know! Thanks again for all your help.