New Engines

wlapradd

Reaction score
My89 25' sailfish had twin 2 stroke 225 outboards.I recently purchased twin 225 verados ,I was told that the wait of these engines are heavier then what I had and I may need to add wait in the bow.Not sure if this is correct or not. I would appreciate any comments.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Cost to 400#. 225 Verado's weigh in at 635, old V6 2 strokes are in the low 400's. How is she sitting?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would not add weight to a boat ever, but after splashing her if i thought she was to stern heavy I would consider adjusting where I store stuff on the boat if she did sit too bow high. Only reason to move weight would be if she climbed on plane which she likely will not with the super chargers, or if she rides with a big trim angle, to me that is around 7 degrees or more, never need more then that really in a planning hull. If you are using tab a lot to soften the ride, more stuff forward, or add more anchor line and extend your anchor chain length, will benefit the ride and always comes in handy. I'm sure you have plenty of storage under the v berth so you can easily shift plenty of gear or start to carry more stuff if there is a trim issue. I would not recommend always using tab to bring her down, if more then 50% of the time you are, your trim angle is wrong, tabs cause drag and reduce efficiency when extended down too much. I would not jump the gun though until you see how she sits at the dock and how she rides. My prediction is the ride will not be that much different, the hull is still the same and acts similar, she still displaces the same water on plane, but the aft CG will slightly change the running angle, might not be anything worth worrying about, or could just require an adjustment in how the boat is loaded.