"new" grady- 2003 257 advance-48 hours

arich

Reaction score
I found a 2003 257 grady advance with twin 150 HPDIs for $35,000. No trailer.

Boat has ONLY 48 hours. I have seen the boat and sea trialed it. Boat was bought, stored, maintained at same grady dealer so it is legit. indoor rack stored, no bottom paint

I have a deposit on the boat. Thoughts, opinions, warnings?

Attachments

• IMG_3100 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3100 (Medium).JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,702
  • IMG_3088 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3088 (Medium).JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,702

aa331

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Very nice looking boat. My 2 cents...

Very low hours on the HPDIs, almost too low. I've been told more than once that not using a motor is not a good thing.

Get it independently surveyed plus looked at by a Yamaha mechanic. You never know.

Test the fuel system for Ethanol. Whatever you find (E10 or pure gas), continue using the same for now.

Take the motors for a full service (impeller, fuel filters, plug, etc..) and check out the batteries. If more than a 2 years old, I would change them no matter what.

Put new racor 2 micron water separators on there, fill the gas tank, run the boat, and don't be surprised if you clog up before the weekend is over. It happened to me and others I know, junk builds up over time in the fuel tank when not in use. No big deal, just carry spare Racors, and get over the fuel issues hump (if any) once.

If you're a DIY, learn about the HPDIs. Great motors, but they like a clean fuel system.

Good luck.

PDGrady

Reaction score
We have a 2005 model with the F250. Great boat - family and fishing. Would recommend a sea trial and full survey before purchase in any case.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
aa31 nailed it. Would add that a Yam Tech should plug into the motors and print out history. You'll pay about $400-$500 for engine survey. At 48-hrs don't think you need to take off the VST's. X2 on the 2-micron Racor filters. The only thing I would differ on aa is the spares. The 2-micron Racor is a 2-piece assembly with a screw on bowl. If you clog underway, you'll never get the bowl off out on the open water. It's a work bench thing for me and the filter is usually beat to crap getting it off. I carry the cheapo 20-micron 1-piece jobs. I've never had to use them yet. Great looking boat and great motors, high maintenance, but bitchin' fast for 150's.