new grady owner

miker

Reaction score
i just picked up a 1988 205c overnighter i dont see many of these i hope these are good

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Plenty of these still around. Hope you did some homework cause they can develop problems at that age.

miker

Reaction score
BobP said:
What's the 205C ? Bracket or I/O ?
sorry its a 205 no c it has a brand new chevy 350 and a mercruiser outdrive i just dont see many inboards i was wondering why

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Also inboards can be problematic if moored....

And these days most outboards ( this is a genersalisation......)have outgrown the reliability issues of past and are seen to be less work than inboards.

Having said all that, I had merc 454 with bravo2 and it was a sweet combination. I definitely think it raised as many billfish as any deisel boat.
We ran a utectic off a compressor and had a huge freezer and fridge for keeping the catch cool.It worked like a charm. Some boats you wish you never sold!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
On the smaller models, I/Os take up a lot of room above deck.

For those who wanted car motor like performance in their boats and were sick and tired of unreliable tempermental chain smoking drink mixers, back in those days, went I/O.

The good thing about I/Os is the new motor cost, what about $4K?

What a deal compared to outboards. But similar manueverability. Of course the outdrive isn't cheap nor that reliable as the motor, just like trannies on inboards.

They get you one way or the other, no avoiding the big hole in the ocean !

The most common model varient of the 20 foot walkaround was the outboard on transom, then outboard on bracket, last I/Os.
Seen very few of the later.
Had an '88 204C myself. So much boat for just 20 foot. Every other manufacturer including BW copied it seeking same success.

Only one original succeeded as long and so great. Seems like millions on the water

It's a Grady.