New guy with questions about differences in 282s

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Brand new here and new to glass boats. had a pretty nice jet boat that was great in 4-5" of water, but not so good for 5,000' .
Santiam2-1.jpg

Sold that with the intention of getting something that'll comfortably allow me to chase tuna and halibut offshore in the Pac NW. I have a 2007 Chevy 2500HD with the Dmax, so no problem dragging a 282 Sailfish back and forth. And I think that it my preferred choice right now. But I'm trying to figure out if there are any manufactured differences between 2002 and 2005 Models. At least those years seem to fit my price range. I am a bit gunshy about buying something with the Yamaha F225s on it, so maybe some of you can alleviate my corrosion fears.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
wdlfbio said:
Hello Folks,

Brand new here and new to glass boats. had a pretty nice jet boat that was great in 4-5" of water, but not so good for 5,000' .
Santiam2-1.jpg

Sold that with the intention of getting something that'll comfortably allow me to chase tuna and halibut offshore in the Pac NW. I have a 2007 Chevy 2500HD with the Dmax, so no problem dragging a 282 Sailfish back and forth. And I think that it my preferred choice right now. But I'm trying to figure out if there are any manufactured differences between 2002 and 2005 Models. At least those years seem to fit my price range. I am a bit gunshy about buying something with the Yamaha F225s on it, so maybe some of you can alleviate my corrosion fears.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Okay, here goes. I have an 04 282 w/ F225's and love it. I think the 225's have plenty of power and from what I've heard, the corrosion problem is very isolated and on 03 and earlier engines. The big changes in the 282 took place on 2005 models. Some I wish I had and others I'm glad I don't. The cabin colors are changed with a teak/holly floor. It's really nice looking. The sink counter is also a nicer color. But I don't think either is a deal breaker. Now the more important stuff. The transom bench seat is removed and becomes a fish box. Nice feature but takes away deck space. The 05 and later models have a folding transom seat forward of the fish box. I personally like the molded in seat and extra deck space.
Another feature which is really nice on the 05 is the pulpit design. The anchor goes through the pulpit instead of sitting on top of the pulpit. The anchor rests beneath the pulpit instead of forward of the boat. This is also not a deal breaker but is nice when docking bow in. I wish I had this so I could get my boat closer to the dock. Not an issue if trailering or at a floating dock. The cockpit chairs are new for 2006. I know the fuel tanks switched around 05 or 06 from 2 tanks to one large single tank. I have the 2 tank setup which I like. I guess the only benefit to this is if you get a bad batch of fuel you can switch to the other tank. I never fill both tanks at same time. I switch tanks at every fillup. Oh yeah, about the power choices. The 225's get approx. 1.6 mpg while the 250's get 1.5 mpg. Not a huge difference but some knowledge I've aquired.
I hope this was helpful to you.

Bob

no problem

Reaction score
The only way to be sure an f225 doesn't have the corrosion issue is each lower unit has to be removed and a scope needs to be inserted into exhaust housing. I would think a certified Yamaha repair facility that's already doing this test only for this one. There are a very few of these are defective but if it needs repair it's around 6k each. Other than that these motors seem to have a very good reputation. Good luck! your gonna love the 9'6" beam :D

wdlfbio

Reaction score
I think I found her. 2007 282. She needs radar and rocker launchers for the hardtop. Looks like most have 6 launchers up top. Where is generally the best place to buy a launcher to fit, or do most folks just go custom?

sluggoe

Reaction score
most sailfish (i have an 02) have 5 launchers on top;
mine were factory installed with the hardtop;
if you want , u can attach the horizontal bar yourself and attach the taco screw-on model up top;
i think it looks a bit nicer if they are actually welded (custom job) but will be more $;
personally i would do the custom job;
my $.03;
--slugg.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I would call the original manufacturer of the hardtop and see about a factory original set up. If you will be adding one, you may want to look into having it drop down an extra inch or two. My sailfish (01) with factory installed launchers were a bear to reach. I am 5' 11'' and had to get on my tippy toes to barely be able to get a rod into the holder. Forget about getting a heavy rod in there without something to stand on.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Look up the manufacturer that Grady uses (Winterville Machine Works). If you are 5' 10" or less, get the one for the Marlin, it has 6 rod holders and sits lower so you can access the rods easier. If taller, get the 5 rod holder Sailfish model. Very easy install.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
Look up the manufacturer that Grady uses (Winterville Machine Works). If you are 5' 10" or less, get the one for the Marlin, it has 6 rod holders and sits lower so you can access the rods easier. If taller, get the 5 rod holder Sailfish model. Very easy install.

Cool. I will contact them. I'm 5'11", but don't need to be on my toes trying to moves rods when the bite is hot. We have some pretty WO albacore action here and I hate losing valuable live bait time screwing around with rods. :)

georgemjr

Reaction score
The other added benefit to the marlin one w/ 6 rod holders is that you do not have a rod holder directly in the center (as you would with a 5). This can become an issue if you install a center rigger, as the center rod holder would become useless. Oh, and it fits 6 rods instead of 5.