New HPDE Toe Rails

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago (in the cold) I installed new HPDE Toe Rails in the cockpit. Saturday in the 75 degrees, they turned into arcs across the longer spans. I would think that the only solution would be to elongate the screw holes through the rails in order to allow the plastic to slide instead of pulling on the screws. ( I hate making things loose) Has anybody else noticed this? Is this the only solution? Thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Like Brian said, that's a negative characteristic of starboard, it has a tremendous expansion coeficient.

I have a facia plate in the cabin arond the microwave face that also forms a self above it, the screws are always loose.

Only when it is screwed into other starboard does it not occur, with bait cutting boards and the like.

Slot the holes and caulk the hole gap with silicon. In your application, the expansion will take place length wise, not in thickness, so you can still snug up the screws, just let the material move laterly about the screw.

seasick

Reaction score
1st grady said:
A couple of weeks ago (in the cold) I installed new HPDE Toe Rails in the cockpit. Saturday in the 75 degrees, they turned into arcs across the longer spans. I would think that the only solution would be to elongate the screw holes through the rails in order to allow the plastic to slide instead of pulling on the screws. ( I hate making things loose) Has anybody else noticed this? Is this the only solution? Thanks

King Starboard has a thermal expansion rate of 1/32 inch per foot for a 40 degree temp swing. So let's say you installed a 6 foot length of toe rail and it was 50 degrees outside. On a 90 degree day, the rail will expand 6 x 1/32 or 3/16 inch. If the boat will be stored in cold weather, say 0 degrees ( like the notheast) , the swing from cold to a 100 degree day for a 6 foot run will be just about a half inch, so make you slots long enough.
Use screws that will slide ( flat bottomed).