New owner, old 204 question

ThemApples

Reaction score
Just picked up a 1980 204 Fisherman. No name, no power. I'm heavily leaning towards a zuki 175 4s simply because Yamaha does not have a 175 4s in their line and I think the 200 is too heavy.

I have lots of questions which I hope y'all can help with. But, my first one is:

Everything seems original except the transom which has been rebuilt. This includes the two seats for the fish boxes. I plan on getting them recovered in the future. Hoever, the bottom sides, which are the plastic lids for the boxes are starting to crack. Is there a source to replace these, or any hints for repair?

2. Can the batteries be relocated in the console to relieve the stearn weight?

Thanks to all on this forum. You convinced me to buy the boat without you even knowing it!

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First of all congrats on the new boat and welcome aboard. As far as the lids i don't have a clue, if it was me, i would make them out of fiberglass. The other thing is that Suzuki DF175, first of all is a heavy motor and your boat was not design for that, also the DF175(i know, i had one) is VERY torquee motor, i mean VERY. If it was me i would look for an ETEC or even better, Yamaha still sells the 2 stroke 150 carb. motor which is with no dought a BULLETPROOF motor and i would not take any comments or arguments about it, or a used 150 or 200 HPDI is sweet motor for that boat.
P.S Suzuki has vapor lock up problems too for the past year or so and they don't know how to fix it yet.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Also about Suzuki, they will deny warranty work as soon as they have the smallest clue that is your fault and if you deside to fix the motor, good luck on the waitting period to get parts, other than that they ARE great motors with the lack of customer service.

ThemApples

Reaction score
WOW! Thanks for your reply. From reading other comments about powering a 204, it seemed like a 150 was minimal power. I was hoping to go 4s. I can't find enough people to get 100% behind an etec in my area. The Suzuki 150 / 175 weighs with 10 lbs of the Yamaha 150. That's how i've narrowed my search thus far.

Do you really think two stroke is the way to go?

I'd be curious if anyone has a 204 fisherman or hatteras with a four stroke and how it has performed.

ThemApples

Reaction score
"Four strokes under 200HP shouldn't
weigh enough to create any issues.  If you have any additional questions
please let us know.

Customer Relations
Grady-White Boats"

I inquired to GW about the proper motor last week and above is what they responded. That was after I asked about a four stroke. Initially their comments were similar to yours:

"The 1980 model 204F had a maximum horsepower rating of 230 HP. We
would
suggest re-powering with a motor between 150 to 200 H.P. Attached are
two performance tests featuring our twenty-foot center console, one
powered with a 150 and one with a 200 HP two stroke Yamaha motors for
your review."

ThemApples

Reaction score
The 1980 204F is in the water! The Zuke DF175 is a great match. Still breaking in, but, was able to hit 6000 RPM with fuel and 600 lbs of men in her. She hit 47! I'm know speed demon, but, that was quite fast for me!

A second battery was added and both are installed under the console. There is still plenty of room for tool box, safety gear, etc.

PROBLEM: Leaking fuel tank. I'll probably run with a couple of ten gallon portables until I can tear into it next winter.

As for now, I'm quite please with the package! :D