New owner

Mammasan

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just put a deposit on a 2020 330 express. I'm excited to be a part of the community.

I'm looking at marinas in the northshore of Massachusetts. Currently, thinking about Salem (hawthorne cove). Anyone have any recommendations or pros/cons about the local marinas? I grew up boating on cape cod so this area is going to be new to me.

Thanks!
Mike

reelserious

Reaction score
Congrats on the new boat. Brewers, aka Hawthorn Cove, is supposed to be a nice marina, with the exception of its' exposure to north east winds. Not familiar with their pricing. Your local choices are limited. Beverly Port Marina is very well protected, but expensive and not very well maintained. It is a great location if you want quick access to open water and has plenty of parking. Another option is Danversport Yacht Club Marina. Great marina for socializing, less expensive than others in the area and very well maintained. The only real issue is that you have a half hour trip up river at no-wake speed if you catch both bridges, Otherwise it can take much longer. Another option is Tuck Point Marina (next to Beverly Port) which is reasonably priced, fairly well maintained, but may be hard to get a slip due to its' size (about 40 slips). Parking can be tough also. I spent 15 years at Beverly Port and 5 at Tuck point and wintered 20 years at Danversport. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck.

Reactions: Mammasan

Mammasan

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Congrats on the new boat. Brewers, aka Hawthorn Cove, is supposed to be a nice marina, with the exception of its' exposure to north east winds. Not familiar with their pricing. Your local choices are limited. Beverly Port Marina is very well protected, but expensive and not very well maintained. It is a great location if you want quick access to open water and has plenty of parking. Another option is Danversport Yacht Club Marina. Great marina for socializing, less expensive than others in the area and very well maintained. The only real issue is that you have a half hour trip up river at no-wake speed if you catch both bridges, Otherwise it can take much longer. Another option is Tuck Point Marina (next to Beverly Port) which is reasonably priced, fairly well maintained, but may be hard to get a slip due to its' size (about 40 slips). Parking can be tough also. I spent 15 years at Beverly Port and 5 at Tuck point and wintered 20 years at Danversport. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Going to try first in Salem cause the wife likes the idea of being able to walk to restaurants etc. Danversport is beautiful, but I really want to avoid long transit times if possible. I was also considering Charlestown but parking looks to be a nightmare.

Mammasan

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Any recommendations for boat insurance agent/companies? Thanks!

Mammasan

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I officially own my first boat! I have to say, Baert Marine was great to work with. No sales pressure, let me take my time making the decision. April cannot come soon enough! Now time to pick out electronics!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have an agreed value policy with Markel. Never had to use it though...
Nice boat. What is the wait for a new boat these days?

Mammasan

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Not sure what the wait time is as this was a new one sitting in the show room. Someone bought it but changed their mind and ordered another express with different options. I really lucked out. I think I got a good deal.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Awesome. That is the way to buy a boat. The dealer likely wanted to move it so he didn't have to carry it through the winter..

reelserious

Reaction score
I officially own my first boat! I have to say, Baert Marine was great to work with. No sales pressure, let me take my time making the decision. April cannot come soon enough! Now time to pick out electronics!

Congratulations on the purchase. Baert is a great group to deal with. You will be happy you bought there, when it comes to correcting any issues with the boat after delivery. They go above and beyond when it comes to customer service. Also, you might try Smithwick Mariner for insurance. Was with them 20 years. Great coverage for a reasonable price. Never filed a claim so can't speak to how good they are at paying out should you have a claim. Here is a link https://www.smithwick-ins.com/ Good Luck with the boat.

Reactions: Mammasan

Ripple

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
All good recommendations in this post. I agree about Danversport being A LONG way out and back. Also, I would avoid Charlestown. Boston traffic is rough while North Shore traffic is slightly less rough. Before heading out of Salem and Beverly areas, take a good long look at your paper charts. Lots of stuff to bang into.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Regarding the insurance try Gallagher Charter Lakes. Best prices (I did an extensive search) and great coverage.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I went with American Markel Ins Co. Get an agreed value policy to mitigate depreciation chiseling which happens regularly. You'll know exactly what you are getting in the event of a loss.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
First, BAERT is the best. I had my Hydra-Sports taken care of by them and I will have my "new to me" GW taken care of by them. The service manager Tim is excellent.

Second, for insurance, give SeaInsure (think SeaTow) a call. Reach out to chrism@seainsure.com. (if you aren't all set already, given that I am a bit late to game)

Third, where did you end up slipping the boat?

naesb81

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I have SeaInsure, they are great. I unfortunately had to file a claim last year due to my 265 dragging the mooring during a storm. They paid out without any issues.