New Powerhead - 99 Yamaha 225 OX66

MDRookie01

Reaction score
Had two heads lock up due to an oil issue on my Yamaha 1999 225 OX66.

Had a friend knock out the heads and he found a small crack at the bottom of the powerhead.

Guess my only options now is a rebuilt powerhead or new yamaha parts to build out a new powerhead. Any suggustions? How easy would it be to find a realible used/rebuilt powerhead for my 99 225 ox66?

romex

Reaction score
let me know how you make out on the parts, theres a fellow here in charleston sc that has a pair of 225 ox66's 1999's complete set controls,tanks,harnesses etc 300hrs for $6,000 total

MDRookie01

Reaction score
Thanks Guys..

I checked out all those sites, and they have nothing currently for my model, but I will keep an eye on them. Alot of VMAX Powerheads for my year, but not OX66s (SX).

Remox,
I would like to buy two any have a spare but coming up with 6k with a baby on the way is probably not likely. They only have 300 hrs on them ? Did he repower with something new?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
By an entire used running used motor similar vintage, plenty around.

Then keep your old motor in garage for spare parts.

Make sure used motor is checked out by Yamaha dealer and gven clean bill of health.

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Ideas on Repowering

Making the assumption that your Christmas tree didn't have a new engine under it either, here are some thoughts after looking for a new/used Yamaha 200 to 250 hp engine for my Tournament 225.
For a rebuilt powerhead would suggest maybe 1Outboard in Pennsylvania or there is a Yamaha rebuild center in Nixa, MO (can't remember the name offhand), but you can find both using Google. As far as replacing your engine with a similar vintage you're looking at spending about $4,000 (plus shipping and whatever else might need to be done etc).
I'm still looking around and trying to make a decision. If you want any further information, I've been keeping a spreadsheet with what I have found that I can share.
Good luck!

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
hi im currently in the process of replacing the powerhead on my 91 johnson, a guy i spoke with on ebay ebay@happiemac.com helped me and was very helpfull and had it shipped here in houston tx from tampa FL for $250 shipping and a really good price on the powerhead. the guy really was cool, i talked to him over the phone and he also worked with me b4 i purchased due to me being a lil late b.c of a funeral.... so maybe this guys can help you .... good luck

clevtrev

Reaction score
You can buy a NEW Yamaha powerhead from boats.net for approx $4K each... Can't beat that for a genuine Yamaha part ... with warranty. I bought one last year.. Came with free shipping too.

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
i appreciate it. i have a johnson 200, and on ebay i found the exact year and model that i needed and payed 1400 for it shipped to me. and it had all the gaskets and stuff, so wasent to bad of a deal....... ill try to put some pics of it on here its in really goood shape.

panhdjoe

Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I was having a smart ass moment. I suppose he meant the pistons seized in the cylinders ruining the powerhead.