New to Forum- considering GW

alfaguy

Reaction score
I am in the market for a family boat for cruising and water sports (including <200 lb adults on a slalom ski). I want something no more than 20 feet in length due to storage limitations. I am considering a local 2 owner 1998 GW 192 Tournament - 150 Yamaha 2 stroke - about 300 hrs. The boat has been wintered on its trailer (tandem) and spent summers in the water at a yacht club. Basic amenities - VHF, stereo, depth / fish finder. Cockpit and bow covers are recent. No other enclosures. Asking price is CAN$19,500 PLUS $1,500 for the trailer.

Two questions for the forum:
1. Suitability of this setup (boat / motor) for intended purpose. What is the performance of the boat with a 150?
2. Price. Seems like a bunch of $$ given what else can be had in this price range (other manufacturers' bow riders, IO, bling, etc.), but I am impressed by GW quality and want something that is safe for my wife and boys (8&10 yo) plus I don't want to have to run for home when the weather kicks up. I was considering an older (pre Brunswick) 18' Outrage, however my wife thinks they are, uh . . . ugly, plus I do not think a CC is the right boat for us.

I am located in the Pacific Northwest, and these boats do not come to market often.

Apologies for the rambling. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Frank

Reaction score
I think the price is a little bit high given the 2-stroke engine (it is not the HPDI, right?), but that likely is a reflection of the time of year (the seller knows there will be buyers around), the fact that this has been a very popular model, and the limited supply in your area. I would consider offering $17K with the trailer included and see if you can't make a deal at $18K or so including the trailer.

The boat should work for your intended purposes, although I think you would be better with 175 hp for the adults skiing. I would try to get a "test ski" to make sure it handles well enough for your tastes. It should be fine for everything else. I have used mine for tubing but not for skiing.

The boat rides very well for a 19' (I have mine in the ocean 90% of the time). It handles rough seas well - I have had mine in 4-5' seas a number of times (unintended) and never felt unsafe. You do, of course, have to slow down as it is only 19' long and 2,000 lbs. The one aspect of the ride that isn't great is in tight chop where the boat isn't long enough to span the waves and doesn't have enough "v" amidships to break the waves. You need to trim the nose down and slow down a lot so that the sharp entry on the bow is breaking the waves.

The boat is very stable. The twin swim platforms are great for getting on and off the boat in the water. It is buoyant so it doesn't take much water in the cockpit when drifting in larger seas (it tends to drift stern to the seas, slightly quartering).

Personally, I think this is the best under 20' boat out there. I did when I bought mine and still do.

striped bass

Reaction score
Alfa:
Price seems a little high given this is a 12 year old boat. On a twelve year old boat of any manufacturer, expect to encounter expense for replacing systems: wiring, horn, hydraulic seals for the plungers, O2 sensor, fuel sensors, deck panels, console displays . . . the list goes on and on. Mostly these are necessary systems that wear out over time but can be expensive. You do not mention a GPS which many would consider a mandatory safety navigation aid. A Bimini cover is good to have because the sun can cook you out of the cockpit and the rise of skin cancer is a factor (I have personal knowledge).

This engine is adequate for the tasks you outline and the numbers, if accurate, are low. I know you stated the 20 foot limitation. My recommendation would be a Tournament 225 (just slightly longer) but much much more boat for your waters and intended useage.

Be sure to have a professional do a survey of the boat and engine before you make a move. Check the deck panels, transom, stringers, fuel tank and other systems. Have a certified Yamaha mechanic do survey of the engine.

Good luck.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the CAN and US Dollar are at par, the price is high. I think you can find one for less...have it shipped to a port of entry, pay the duty, and still come out ahead.

That said, the 192 is a great boat for what you want it to do....

alfaguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments / advice. It seems from the looking I have done, GW's are less common on the West Coast than in the East (either that or people just keep them). As such, prices here tend to be higher and the boats in general retain their value. There are a couple of 192's within a two hour drive - one pre SeaV2 with a '99 FI motor - the price is comparable when you factor in exchange. One early SV2 with more bells and whistles, but still 5 years older and again a comparable price. A couple of Sportsman 18's - same vintage, smaller 4S engine - more $$. One 09 Sportsman 18 - CDN $55k!! Now if you want to buy a used Sea Ray with a 135 mercruiser or a V6 - take your pick . . .

I agree that there are better deals to be had in the East, however shipping boats cross country is costly, plus there is the travel for a pre-purchase inspection, etc.

Re the inspection - Striped Bass mentioned checking the stringers. How does one do this? I know about tapping the transom to check for dead spots. Are GW's prone to blistering at all? All the service for this motor has been done at a Yamaha dealer a few miles from where I live - usual stuff - gear oil, tune ups, impeller, carb adjustment, etc. I would still have a compression check done for peace of mind.

I am taking the admiral to look at the boat tomorrow. Hope she likes it!

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Considering Grady

Hi Alfaguy
Looks like you are a fellow Canuck as am I. Look at www.desmasdons.com
which is the Grady dealer in Ontario. I have bought 2 boats off these guys and they are great. They have a 2008 Sportsman, loaded, with 150 Yamaha, 150 hours, asking $33,000 CDN. If you do call them ask for Matt.
Good luck.
Bukster

Reaction score
I've got a 1994 tournament 192 that I bought in Vancouver, BC a little over a year ago. It had the original 175 evinrude on it at the time and I replaced it with a used 2000 200hp yamaha ox66 with less than 500 hrs on it.

I couldn't be happier with the set up. The hull is a little older, but these are simple, well built boats. Powertrain asside, there's not much on them that's going to break or cause headaches. There's 3 other 192's in my marina. They're all newer than mine but I get consistent comments that mine is the best of the 4. The point being, with a little work cleaning them up, these boats don't show their age.

If you (and the boat) are in the Vancouver area send me a PM and I will give you the name of my mechanic and the surveyor I used.

striped bass

Reaction score
Alfa:
A qualified surveyor or fiberglass repair person can check the stringers by popping the pie plates out of the deck panels and removing the live well (if this boat has one) from the transom. Also make sure your surveyor has a moisture meter and goes over the entire hull (including the deck panels) - this process will help detect water accumulation in the bilge.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I had a 98, 192 and loved the boat! Fished it offshore in Florida, ran rivers and lakes. Great to boat with a 150. Mine I repowered in 04 with 4S yammy. Great ride for its size, fuel economy was nearly 4 mpg. I miss it a little. I too got in some snotty water in the Keys with it and she handled the 5 footers well. I would recommend a 192 to anyone looking for a sub 20 bow rider...

alfaguy

Reaction score
Well, I was all geared up to go for a look-see this afternoon, but I got the email around noon - "sorry. sold the boat this morning . . . etc." BUT the seller has another 192 that is newer with an HDPI motor with low hours for . . . . more $$$$$ PLUS the trailer again. Now I ask you, why would a seller who claims to have owned a boat for 4 years all of a sudden have two of them, and the second one was not advertised? The answer to my earlier question of "why are you selling the boat" was met with "I want to go bigger or smaller but haven't decided." It got my spidey senses tingling at the time - guess I should have drilled down. I smell a flipper . . .

Still looking for a 192 (or even a newer 180) . . . the silver lining so far is that I met some excellent resources on the forum . . .

Thanks for that.