New to forum- windlass question on 282 Sailfish

Renovator

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2005 282 with the factory option Lawrence-Simpson 600 Sprint windlass. Questions's. Is the windlass capable of "freefall" and is the wrench supplied needed for this ? I assume it is a manual operation but when I try to back off the cap, the entire gypsy turns. Also, as I was loading the new rode in locker and would stop the retrieval on occasion in order to reposition the pile of rode in the locker the windlass would not re-start/ run and would need to sit for a minute or two before it would operate again. It did this several times, I assume it may be an internal breaker but is that normal? The motor did not seem to be "hot" from overheating. I did receive the owners manual but it does not address the freefall feature.

I can't wait to get her out on the big pond and fill the box. I think I will be very happy with her from what I have seen so far. Thanks in advance for your replys.
Ron

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Welcome.

Sailfish 282, good looking, in a long line of tradition. GG members know all too well !

Others can respond on the type of windlass, I don't think it's free fall, I think it's motor fall.

Electrically, it would not be wise to have an internal overload at the motor, can't get to it, overload should be at the console by the switch or where the breaker is, which can be the overload itself. Older model had booted button breaker, not sure what you have. I guess it could have an internal overload, should show in circuit diagram in manual.

If you were trying to unseat a buried anchor with the windlass, overload pops. Overload is a thermal element that equates amperes and time, to heat. Heat effects bimetal, and she pops. The external ones are not self resetting. Nothing you are doing can overload it, can run all day like that. Unless you jammed it (locked rotor), then it pops, not right away, but soon enough.

You have possibly: a motor deadspot, defective overload, loose wire, loose terminal, and I'm all out of ideas!

Good luck, comeback often!