new to GW

mrbill

Reaction score
Hi folks
I just bought my first "new" old Grady 232 Gulfstream and I'm looking for some info on a few things. She's a 1989 with twin 1999 Johnson 150 Ocean Pro engines. The engines run nicely, but they surge when the rpm goes over 2500 rpm. I read a post that suggest starting with the fuel filters, so I'll try that first. The boat is solid, but it has not been run much lately and it looks to have suffered from some neglect as well, so I'll be doing some repairs as I go along.
Things that need attention are: the Good windlass (doesn't work), horn, wash down pumps, motor operated spot light, the toilet is gone, stove is gone, cushions need replaced or at least recovered, all the interior hardware that came in the chrome plated zinc needs replaced. I need to figure out the electrical system as far as what the accessory switches are supposed to control. The previous owner disconnected the oil injection system "as a safeguard against blowing the motors if that ever failed." That's OK I guess.

I downloaded an owner’s manual off the Grady White site, but it's pretty meager on content. Is there anything more informative out there specific to my boat? The guy who sold me the boat is going through a divorce, so he wasn't really up to talking to me much about it. I got a good price on it and had mechanic check compression and a few basics, before buying it, but now I'll want to get her taken care of.
Thanks, Bill

richie rich

Reaction score
Mr Bill....besides the GW manual, use their customer service techs for information...they'll either e-mail you back or even call if its required to solve your question. If you're keeping the engines get a service manual as well....same for the indiviual bolt on equipment...and of course, the fellow owners on this web site! :wink: Just ask a detailed question and include a picture if you can as that helps. Welcome aboard.

striped bass

Reaction score
mrbill
Check out the deck panels. Prone to wood rot. Same for the transom. Get moisture meter and go over the whole boat.

Based on my Grady White experience you have a minimum of $5k worth of rebuild if you do it yourself. $10K and up if you have a professional do it.

mrbill

Reaction score
Thanks Guys !
I appreciate the advise. The whole family is excited about the boat. The site here really looks good and helpful. I'm moving off my Shamrock and the Shamrock owners have a really good and helpful site as well. I'm going to miss the old Shammy, but I missed the CC Mako when I left her, to move to the Shammy, a more toddler friendly craft. Now the kids are old enough for some off-shore fishing, so the Gulstream will meet that need I'm sure.
I'm not intimidated by the fix-up, but hopefully it won't need too much too soon, so we can get some fish and fun first.

Bill