New to me 228 seafarer, outboard height questions.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just picked up my very under propped (15 pitch) 228 seafarer. Ill be trying some props but first i want to make sure my outboard isnt to low.
It is currently in the top hole of the bracket, but the bottom holes of the outboard. I find a get a very awkward spray off the leg unless i trim way up.
So, how high should it be? Will pull it out of the water to move it up on Wednesday.

So far loving it, tidying up a few issue still...the fuel gauge,trim sensor (busted off...) and stiff steering.

Doug

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Top hole of the bracket and bottom hole on the engine mount sounds like your engine is as high as it can get.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pictures would help. Top hole bracket, second hole down on motor is factory Grady setup.

What year boat/motor? HP?

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
1997 228 seafarer, Yamaha 225. Here's a picture, so it's down one hole to far from your description. Working on pictures, files to large at the moment.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This the spray off the leg, unless its trimmed way up in good calm water it does this. Gets much worse than as i trim down, but i don't find i need to trim down much more except getting up on plane.
MVIMG_20200810_204503.jpg

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Motor mounting.
IMG_20200810_212929.jpg

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Your motor is too low, you need to go up one hole and make sure your bracket doesn't have water in it.
That should fix your stiff steering as well.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your motor is too low, you need to go up one hole and make sure your bracket doesn't have water in it.
That should fix your stiff steering as well.

I was hoping the steering might get better if it came up. Will find out if there is water in the bracket tommorow when its out of the water. Lifting motor tommorow!

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pretty sure factory from
Grady is one hole up from the bottom. Other have gone higher with good results. If I was you I would go up two holes and see how you like it. I played around with changing heights on my grady bracket years ago and remember a significant change on each height.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep, too low. Come up at least one hole. My '04 is in 3rd hole and no problems. 6100rpm and 41mph/gps, 4 blade PowerTech prop on F225.

Screenshot_20200812-103326_Gallery.jpg

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is an interesting thread as I have a similar situation on my project 228 that I bought without power late last year. The pod horns were broken so I had my son in law fabricate a bracket to bolt onto the pod. I found an extra long leg Suzuki DF250 so we made the bracket taller, I thought I had made enough measurements beforehand. I will include some pictures, the boat runs great but I do get spray coming out of both sides of the motor when trimmed down, it goes away when trimmed up. My question is, should the cavitation plate be just slightly under water for proper height of the outboard? It’s hard to tell as the swim grid is in the way, Thanks

Attachments

• 9559A244-14EE-4134-8EA5-187E984B0EB5.jpeg
    9559A244-14EE-4134-8EA5-187E984B0EB5.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 6
  • B335FB24-72A5-4A8D-98A7-4BE0AF8CB489.jpeg
    B335FB24-72A5-4A8D-98A7-4BE0AF8CB489.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 36E18B8E-A2DA-41C5-B857-79989C3813C3.jpeg
    36E18B8E-A2DA-41C5-B857-79989C3813C3.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 6

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good news, raised engine up one hole and steering feels much better. Its still heavy to to the port, light to starboard so i should tweak my anode skeg. Still some spray off the leg if trimmed down, but only when nearly bottomed out. Seems to take slightly less RPM for each MPH once on plane. I guess not dragging as much leg through the water goes a long way. I may try coming up another hole in september. Going to run like this for a while. Pod was bone dry, happy to see that.

New fuel sending unit will be installed tommorow. Waiting to see if dealer that sold me the boat will hook me up with a trim sensor for the leg...not sure how we all missed that before i drove off the lot.

Bad news, my little draft window was open and didnt like it when my thigh hit it...pooof. Will be building a plexiglass replace in the interim. Dammit!

wrxhoon

Reaction score
As KY said you maybe able to lift it one hole, that will depend on the load you normally have on the boat ( fuel, gear , people) and where you use the boat too. You can try it and see, the higher the motor is the better fuel economy and speed you will get. As long as you don't cavitate when you go over waves. If you cavitate a bit going full lock it is not so bad , you can trim in a bit .
The factory set up is as you have it now.
As for the prop pitch 15"-17" depending on load and use, probably ideal is 16" as it looks like you have 225 4 stroke.

Reactions: ScottyCee

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As KY said you maybe able to lift it one hole, that will depend on the load you normally have on the boat ( fuel, gear , people) and where you use the boat too. You can try it and see, the higher the motor is the better fuel economy and speed you will get. As long as you don't cavitate when you go over waves. If you cavitate a bit going full lock it is not so bad , you can trim in a bit .
The factory set up is as you have it now.
Ventilate*

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good news, raised engine up one hole and steering feels much better. Its still heavy to to the port, light to starboard so i should tweak my anode skeg. Still some spray off the leg if trimmed down, but only when nearly bottomed out. Seems to take slightly less RPM for each MPH once on plane. I guess not dragging as much leg through the water goes a long way. I may try coming up another hole in september. Going to run like this for a while. Pod was bone dry, happy to see that.

New fuel sending unit will be installed tommorow. Waiting to see if dealer that sold me the boat will hook me up with a trim sensor for the leg...not sure how we all missed that before i drove off the lot.

Bad news, my little draft window was open and didnt like it when my thigh hit it...pooof. Will be building a plexiglass replace in the interim. Dammit!
Bad news gets worse, that vent window (glass), gasket and operating arm cost me $520 to bring it back to factory specs.
Good news... I am still vertical :confused:

Reactions: wrxhoon

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Changing the zinc on the bottom of the lower unit is not going to affect your ease of steering, unless your boat constantly pulls in one direction. That tab is to keep your boat going in a straight direction, with no hands on the wheel.