New to site,question on carry on ac and 28 sailfish

Jaeger Grady

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to owning a Grady White, I hope as the survey is getting done as I type but have fished on them for years. I'm getting the 28 sailfish with twin 200 HPDI, any words of advise. I hope to be on her ASAP going after fish and having a couple colds ones here in MD. Has anyone used the Carry on air conditioners? Do they work? Do they fit on the Grady's?

Thanks and hope to be posting alot.

MikeMadBch

Reaction score
Good to see another newbie here. I'm picking up my 1995 Sailfish 272 tomorrow morning to bring her to her new home. I've never owned a Grady White before, but their reputation (and a good deal) made me go for it.

Good luck with yours. I hope to see some posts and photos soon. I'll be doing my best to contribute at least as much as I 'use' this great forum.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yep, been struggling with that since I got my Sailfish. Dock mate has one and asked the wife to check it out to see if she could handle the weight. She says NFW.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, you should get those motors checked by a Yamaha dealer. They'll plug them in and check for any current and past issues. Replace the 10-micron filters with 2-micron racor filters. They're real finicky about fuel quality. What year is the boat? The Sailfish is a great performer with HPDI's.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The carry on AC units look OK on paper but if you aren't the one carrying it up front it's not going to end well. For a ballpark it's probably around $2K if you install an AC system and at least it was an option on the 28 so it shouldn't be that bad of an install. Then there is the redneck way, put a window unit up by the stairs of the helm and seal the enclosure around it.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not a prayer on the $2K. Probably closer to $4K. Ahill did a very comprehensive post on his AC install along with some follow up of the things he would do differently.

Jaeger Grady

Reaction score
Tucker said:
Forgot to mention, you should get those motors checked by a Yamaha dealer. They'll plug them in and check for any current and past issues. Replace the 10-micron filters with 2-micron racor filters. They're real finicky about fuel quality. What year is the boat? The Sailfish is a great performer with HPDI's.

The boat is a 2002. I had the local yamaha dealer check them out and waiting for the results.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yea, and the Yamaha dealer is going to say stay with the 10-micron filters, the 2-micron are too restrictive. Major crock. Those motors have about 10-screens/filters under the cowl. Clog the HP pump screens and you better have a lot of room on the credit card for repairs. As an FYI search THT forum "HPDI Mystery Filters" for a real education.