Newby Buyer Questions

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have decided that I want a GW. Now I need to gather info on what kind. I intend to trailer the boat to Sea of Cortez and possibly Gulf of Mexico areas for diving. For ease of towing I am guessing I need to stay in the under 25ft. range. Comments? Also I think I would like a 4 cycle outboard but I know nothing about outboard motors so any suggestion? ceComments? Can a transom door be installled on an outboard? Comment Cuddy cabin or center console style? Comments Any advice greatly appreciated. I am hoping to stay under $20k.
Dale White
dalewhite@aol.com

ocjoy

Reaction score
A used 22' Seafaerer with a swim platform would be a good choice. Depending on the age ( 1996 or older) would be around $20,000. In that age if the boat still has orginal motor it most likely to be a Two stroke engine.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Yellow Boy said:
I have decided that I want a GW.

Well Dale, I want a Viking, but I've got a Grady. Not a bad second choice I guess! Hope you are able to find the right one.

A boat with a properly sized and configured trailer is a must for towing into Mexico. It wouldn't hurt if the trailer was well maintained as well. To enjoy your boat, you have to get there. Figure this into your budget while price shopping and allow some $$$ room for a few spare trailer parts as well.

Towing a boat with a 9'6" beam in Baja is a white knuckle experience, not so much if you limit yourself to the mainland. I only got sideswiped once in Baja, and that was after towing many thousands of miles over 30 years. You might want to limit your shopping to the 8'6" beam models for that reason, however. If your budget allows 4 stroke power, go for it.

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I have driven a motor home on the Baja and know well of what you speak. I am intending to take the boat either to San Carlos or possibly Puerto Penasco and motor down to San Carlos.
dw

Pez Vela

Reaction score
An "adventure" from Pto. Peñasco down to San Carlos by water ups the ante considerably. Ahh, to be young again! I think you would appreciate having a cabin for that one, or any overnighter, for that matter. ... perhaps a vintage 23' Gulfstream would be doable? Budget for quality marine communications and emergency gear too. Buying the boat is just the down payment, it gets expensive after that.

striped bass

Reaction score
Yellow:
The Gulfstream is an excellent choice for those waters. However, cranking that much boat on and off the trailer is a real drill. You best try it before you buy that much boat to trailer. The 9 foot plus beam may also run into highway restrictions.

jellyfish

Reaction score
look for a 226 or 228. That would be a perfect set up for you.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yellow..
The Seafarer is much easier and lighter to tow. it is definitely narrower than the Gulfstream. I don't know about Mexico, but to be legal you'll need permits to tow it in the US.
I own a Gulfstream, and can get it on-and-off my bunk trailer alrite, but it does give you a workout.

Now, the Gulfstream will win over the two choices once you launch in. Not only will it ride significantly better than the Seafarer, but the wide cockpit will be a great asset to you when diving/fishing, or whatever.
There is great debate on this, but I recommend twins for the Gulfstream. it is the biggest 23-footer out there, and I feel it's underpowered with a single.(unless you do a single 350 Yamaha.However, you've blown your whole budget on the engine without even buying the boat yet..)
I agree with Pez..Invest some cash in trailer quality and maintenance AND spare parts for the road. This cannot be understated. Do not let someone sell you a trailer that is too light-duty for your chosen boat, especially if your towing long distances in the heat of the Southwest and out of the country.
That said, diving in the Sea Of Cortez doesn't sound like a bad game plan..

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I will look at the Seafarer. All your suggestions and insights are very much appreciated.
thanks
YB

jellyfish

Reaction score
there is one in LA CA area for sale right now on a trailer you can buy with or without engine

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you can swing it, a 268 with twin 150's. Healthy 2 strokes will last a long time and there's no use getting too deep in debt in case the experience is not what you wanted.

jellyfish

Reaction score
why don't you look at getting a 208? There are a few in the 18k to 23k range.