Newby with first Grady White

jkasperows

Reaction score
We purchased our first Grady White and then found this website. just wanted to say HI to everyone. we live in virginia beach, VA. we now own a cherry 1991 23 gulfstream 232G with hardtop and a 250 yamaha 2 stroke. the thing has been dry stored its whole life and came with a nice trailor with disc brakes. anything anybody thinks we would like or need to know please let me know. I have owned plenty of boats but none with a beam like this! this thing really hogs up the road on a trailor. good thing the ramp I use is three miles from the house.

look forward to being part of the forum

Joe

catch22

Reaction score
jkasperows said:
We purchased our first Grady White and then found this website. just wanted to say HI to everyone. we live in virginia beach, VA. we now own a cherry 1991 23 gulfstream 232G with hardtop and a 250 yamaha 2 stroke. the thing has been dry stored its whole life and came with a nice trailor with disc brakes. anything anybody thinks we would like or need to know please let me know. I have owned plenty of boats but none with a beam like this! this thing really hogs up the road on a trailor. good thing the ramp I use is three miles from the house.

look forward to being part of the forum

Joe

I had the same exact model, (91 with a 250 on a bracket).... great boat. Like you said... loved the wide beam. It's like a "pocket sport fisher". Seemed bigger than a 23.

Missed the Sea V2 hull by one year, but I had no complaints. The boat handled moderate seas just fine, and is a nice stable fishing platform with plenty of cockpit space.

Good luck with her and welcome to the site. You'll get plenty of help here from a great group of experienced and knowledgeable people.

BirdRock

Reaction score
Congrats on your boat! Our gulfstream is a 93 and we've had it for almost 2 years now. Great, great boat!

Does yours have the original plastic scuppers and thru hulls? If so I'd replace them ASAP. We had one crack and leak while our boat was slipped and almost sank completely. Luckily the marina staff noticed it listing and saved our boat.

jkasperows

Reaction score
Hey Birdrock, yep we got the plastic ones. will work to replace them. looks like some of them may be a bit hard to get to. the good thing is that we will not keep our boat in the water. was this an upgrade? I see some Gulfstreams with stainless steel thru hulls. did the owner replace them? makes you wonder,......these boats are not cheap new. (not that cheap used eather) how much extra would Grady White have had to put into the boat to have these stainless steel from the factory? maybe $500.00 at the most. for a $90,000.00 boat? I think they could have done it.

choogenboom

Reaction score
Congratulations!

I second the advice to replace the nylon thru hulls ASAP. The nylon degrades from UV exposure. My 1994 228G Seafarer had 2 cracked and leaking thru hulls when I replaced them all in 2007. The replacements were stainless so should last the life of the boat. Agree that GW, a premium boat builder, should have used bronze (don't think stainless was available back then) instead of nylon. Note I did not have to replace the scupper thru hulls as they were painted on my hull so protected from UV. Check your throttle and shift control cables between the transom and the engine for rusty looking cracks in the plastic - if they are original then likely due for replacement. On the engine, if the thermostats were not replaced, replace them. If the water pump impeller has more than 4-6 years on it, replace it. Check your fuel tank sender(s) for rational behavior - I had to replace 4 senders (2 each on my two gradys) in the last 12 months, likely due to ethanol. www.wemausa.com is the place for replacements. Check your seacock pushrod's balljoint where the pushrod meets the seacock lever - if its still working, spray it liberally every three months with boeshield or similar to keep it alive. See my other post on how to repair at http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight= .

All engine parts, control cables etc I get from boats.net - great web site with exploded parts diagrams for your engine, discounted prices, and everything I have ever ordered shipped from stock and arrived within days. I highly recommend them. Hull fittings (thru hulls etc) I get from starboardsupply.com.

Good luck and have fun!

Stonewall

Reaction score
Congratulations. You have made a great choice. FYI there is a Grady White Club in Norfolk which serves your area (The Tidewater Grady White Club) You will be able to talk directly with others who have the same boat and interests. You will see the link for the club on the main page of this site.

BirdRock

Reaction score
jkasperows said:
Hey Birdrock, yep we got the plastic ones. will work to replace them. looks like some of them may be a bit hard to get to. the good thing is that we will not keep our boat in the water.

While keeping it on a trailer certainly takes some of the risk out of this it's not a long term solution. You don't want one of these to break and leak when you are 20+ miles offshore.

I agree with your comments though. Not sure what they were thinking using plastic back in the day. All of the recent years have stainless or bronze or whatever they are but no plastic.