No Power to AC Pump

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
I have a 2009 Tournament 307. Comes with Air Conditioning. I turn on the AC control in the head and the fan turns on, no problem. Then I turn it to cold mode and I hear the compressor turn on. However, I am getting no power to the little red dometic AC saltwater pump at the stern of the boat. I put a voltage meter on the wire and their is NO power coming to the pump. I unscrewed the access panel to the AC unit.....very hard to get a good look on top of the unit. Does anyone have any idea of what to look for or how to trouble shoot why I am getting no power to the pump?

Attachments

• Dometic AC pump.JPG
    Dometic AC pump.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 10

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I believe the controller on the AC unit does not control the power to the external pump. Electricity is provided from the electrical panel to an external electrical box bolted to the side of the AC unit. I believe inside this box you will find that the input power splits to feed both the raw water pump and the unit itself. I'm guessing there is a fuse inside this box.
I've never had an issue, just leveraging documentation from the unit, which BTW isn't that good.

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
Thanks, I’ll check out the unit in a couple days when I have a chance and see if I can find the external electrical box ur talking about

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
No separate breaker for pump and no separate fuse either. Only a breaker for the AC. Something is not telling the pump to turn on. The unit is not very accessible.....you have to be plastic man to get near it.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If the power from the panel just splits off to the pump, them the pump would run constantly when the switch is on, even when the AC is turned off. Pump has to be activated either by the thermostat, or by a switch on the AC. Stick your phone in there and take some photos of the control unit.
What is the history here? New to you boat? Has the AC worked for you in the past?
Since the pump and the AC are both 110V, I doubt there are any fuses, just the circuit breakers.
What is the distance from the pump to the AC? Specs for those pumps is a 6 foot power cord. If greater than that, maybe you can find the splice, and test the pump with 110V, with the circuit breaker OFF.

Last edited:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
In my 330, the water pump only runs when required to cool the condenser. The compressor can be running and the water pump can be off. During cooler conditions, the water pump may run more infrequently. Mine doesn't run until the condenser temperature calls for it, sometimes several minutes after calling for cooling. It never runs when the compressor is not running.

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
In my 330, the water pump only runs when required to cool the condenser. The compressor can be running and the water pump can be off. During cooler conditions, the water pump may run more infrequently. Mine doesn't run until the condenser temperature calls for it, sometimes several minutes after calling for cooling. It never runs when the compressor is not running.
If the power from the panel just splits off to the pump, them the pump would run constantly when the switch is on, even when the AC is turned off. Pump has to be activated either by the thermostat, or by a switch on the AC. Stick your phone in there and take some photos of the control unit.
What is the history here? New to you boat? Has the AC worked for you in the past?
Since the pump and the AC are both 110V, I doubt there are any fuses, just the circuit breakers.
What is the distance from the pump to the AC? Specs for those pumps is a 6 foot power cord. If greater than that, maybe you can find the splice, and test the pump with 110V, with the circuit breaker OFF.

I put a voltage meter down by the pump where the connector is located and I get no volts. See attached pics. I bought this 2009 307 this July with 48 hours on her. She was kept in a fresh water environment. I bet the AC was never used.

Attachments

• Grady AC 1.JPG
    Grady AC 1.JPG
    524 KB · Views: 4
  • Grady AC 2.JPG
    Grady AC 2.JPG
    389.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Grady AC 3.JPG
    Grady AC 3.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Grady AC 4.JPG
    Grady AC 4.JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 4

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307

When I turn knob the unit goes to fan mode first, then I turn the knob a little further to "on" for cooling and I hear the compressor kick in. Are you saying that even though the pump is NOT running, and the compressor turns "on" the fan should be "blowing" out cold air? I thought the cool water getting pumped through the system is what generates the cold air. But your saying the cool water that gets pumped into the system is just to cool down the compressor. I did not know that. Well if that is the case......I am not getting any cold air at all. Even when the compressor kicks in during the first few minutes. I may have other issues besides the pump not working.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
When I turn knob the unit goes to fan mode first, then I turn the knob a little further to "on" for cooling and I hear the compressor kick in. Are you saying that even though the pump is NOT running, and the compressor turns "on" the fan should be "blowing" out cold air? I thought the cool water getting pumped through the system is what generates the cold air. But your saying the cool water that gets pumped into the system is just to cool down the compressor. I did not know that. Well if that is the case......I am not getting any cold air at all. Even when the compressor kicks in during the first few minutes. I may have other issues besides the pump not working.

The cooling water cools the condenser, not the compressor. The evaparator is what cools the air, at least in most freon based water cooled AC systems.

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
The cooling water cools the condenser, not the compressor. The evaparator is what cools the air, at least in most freon based water cooled AC systems.

Ok - sorry....so the water cools the condenser. With that said, with the raw water getting pumped into the system to cool the condenser, does that have anything to do with cooling the air? Or as I mentioned above, should the air be blowing cold as soon as I turn it on regardless if the condenser needs raw water or not. I’m trying to figure out if I have a Freon or other issue. (Thanks for ur feedback, much appreciated)