Not directly grady related

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
We own gradys and everyone has a cell phone. Close enough..What would you all do ?. My google phone screen has multiple cracks, the phone itself works fine. A replacement glass installed is $200. The fix it guy said I could go on ebay and buy a clean unlocked unit for less than that. My wife says to get a new one. $700+. I hate to spend that on these overpriced phones. (thats alot of boat stuff).. Would any of you or have you ever purchased a "used" phone ?? Im not a phone geek but dont want any issues. Thoughts ? ideas ?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You know you'er phone and if its in good shape just fix it. You have no idea what you are getting in a used phone off eBay.

In North Jersey I used https://www.ubreakifix.com to fix my iPhone. I don't remember what it cost was.

Topjimmy

Reaction score
Ebay been there done that with our Son a few times and always works out good same with Laptops had good experience on Ebay with that as well Just make sure the Company has alot of transactions and excellent feedback he is out of the house a few years now and on his own now so it is his problem now :)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree with Hook on this one. Either fix what you have or buy new. Who knows what you're buying used on ebay - especially with devices that are used in weather. Just not worth the risk IMHO.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've never bought a new phone and hope that I will never have to. I've used Swappa probably 6 or 7 times - more for my kids and wife as I still have an older iPhone SE. I really don't want to hold a tablet to my ear to make a call...

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
iPhone 10 I have is about the same size as the older iPhones.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
It depends on how old your phone is, if younger than 2 years replace the screen. I wouldn't bother with an older phone, if you don't want to spend the $700 buy a cheaper phone, you can buy new android phones for under $100.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
1. Don't buy off Ebay. More than likely the deal will be lousy.
2. There's a guy near me in suburban Philadelphia. website: https://wefixphonesnmore.com

He is one of the best small business owners I ever came across. Most of the time he doesn't even charge me for little stuff. I seriously doubt that he'd be charging you that much for a screen.

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
My daughter's boyfriend dropped and broke his iPhone over the summer. My daughter found a refurbished iPhone X on Amazon for around $400. I think it came with a 30 day warranty. He has had no problems with it since. Maybe Amazon would be a better place to look than EBay?

Topjimmy

Reaction score
Have any of ya bought a phone or Laptop off Ebay? I have 3 phones and a few Laptops again never a problem just saying from personal Experience just another option for a good price to consider

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Thanks for the great responses !!. Im a little gun shy of buying off ebay. I did see Best Buy sells some of the older model years , I guess refurbished with warranty. I dont need all the latest and greatest. My google is the 2xl and I think they are up to 5xl now. My kids wont let me reactivate my flip phone !.. I'll find something in between the 2 and 5. I knew this was the place to ask.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I had an old iPhone SE. Loved that thing. Just the right size for front pocket. The charging port got corroded & turned green (I wonder where that happened? :rolleyes: )
I bought a tool kit and a replacement charge port/button piece. Took the phone apart & fixed it. VERY small screws but it was not terribly difficult. Worked great. I could easily have changed the screen if it needed one.
A month later my wife got us a new plan cheap and I had to get an iPhone 7:confused:

If the phone is old it will eventually need a battery...a charge port...button... so you have to consider that when paying to fix...

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Before buying another phone, have you checked into how you could replace the glass yourself? I had found a video on youtube in the past and bought a kit for like 30-50 for the iPhone. Pretty straight forward

Look for screen replacement assuming it’s just the glass on the top and nothing LCD or whatever it is called

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I bit the bullet and went to the Verizon store and bought a new phone. This thursday morning when my wife needed a email code sent to my phone to schedule my covid vaccine and I couldnt open it. Got the code and made the appointment and job done. We now return you to your regularly scheduled boating lives.