Not getting Fuel

My Time

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hey there, Hope someone can help me out here, I have a 2004 282 sailfish with twin Yamaha 225hp four stokes, Now my fuel problem, I prime my bulbs then fire up my motors I be driving down the river heading out to sea and star board motor dies, then port dies they wont fire up and run after this I have to prime bulbs again then fire it up, However many times one will start and not the other, I have put fresh gas in her, Changed water separator filters, gas filters. changed her prime bulbs Also when she dies they go soft like there empty. still no clue whats going on. sometimes she will fire and idle for a few but soon as I hit the gas she starts spuddering and quits, then a week ago im out fishing everything was great she ran full speed wide open and it ran great, Then a couple hours later starboard motor dies out, then I could not start it so I drove easy back in on one motor 20 mins later I fired it up and she ran to get me back to dock, but when I got in she quit again. Im lost here on whats going on and its a long ways to a service shop, So im looking for ideas to check if anyone has some ??? Thanks TJ

Last edited:

My Time

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Also I for got to mention I replaced the fuel bulbs as well and when the motors quit they feel empty

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Doesn't sound like a fuel quality issue - rather a fuel supply issue. The fact that the bulbs get soft show a supply issue upstream of the them.

-- Fuel vent could be clogged. Try running with fuel cap off and/or inspect vent.
-- Fuel pickup could be clogged. Need to remove to check.
-- Fuel lines could be deteriorated internally.

Basically, you'll need to take a look at anything upstream of the bulbs.

seasick

Reaction score
or an air leak. Did you change some or all of the parts you mentioned before or after the stalling started to happen?

My Time

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I changed all the parts in the spring it just started happening does the fuel sender have a play in letting fuel thru ??

My Time

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dennis where is the fuel pick up filter ? in the tank ? Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
The sender has no effect on fuel flow. The pickup is in the tank right below where the fuel hose is attached.

My Time

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
can this be done thru the access hole ? or do I need to pull the floor up ?

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
As others have stated it sounds like a fuel delivery problem prior to the primer bulb. When you say the primer bulb is getting soft do you mean it's laying flat almost as if it's stuck in the flat position(this would indicate some sort of tank venting issue) where it cannot fill up or is it just super soft without any pressure inside?

My Time

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
hi mleads310 no the bulbs don't go flat they are empty feeling and when I pump them it don't fill up like they should, sometimes I pump them 15 times and still dont get firm Im kinda lost here. I guess I need to search from the tank valves that switch from main tank to reserve tank back, Cause this happens on both tanks, once it happened on the main tank and I switched over to aux. and it worked but now it does it on both tanks

seasick

Reaction score
The plot thickens: Is it possible that you had this problem on one motor first and then the second acted up? I still cant explain what would cause both motors to die except for vent issues OR some incorrect maintenance that was done to both fuel systems assuming that the stalling always happens to both motors at the same time.
You could have bad low pressure pumps or lift pumps ( if equipped) that just can't handle the required flow rate. In effect to suck the plumbing dry.
You could have an air leak but you would have to have that on both fuel feeds.
Assuming that right now, you can't get the primer bulbs to pump, remove one or both of the water separator filters and pour the contents into a container to see if they were full and if you have some contaminant in your fuel.