OEM BAtteries for 2006 208 w/ F150?

PETRVS

Reaction score
I just had my batteries load tested and found the Deka 27 series is a goner. Boat has pretty much all factory options plus VHF and Raymarine GPS/Chart/FF-- SInce I have to replace the DEKA, am thinking about replacing both batteries with original equipment but have not been able to find out what the original battery set was. Thanks for any help and Happy NEW YEAR!

P

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Buy the most powerful AGM batteries that will fit in the space available. Don't believe I've ever heard anyone complain about 'too much battery' ... :wink:

seasick

Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
Buy the most powerful AGM batteries that will fit in the space available. Don't believe I've ever heard anyone complain about 'too much battery' ... :wink:
Make sure if you go that route that your motor is compatible with AGMs. Not all are.

PETRVS

Reaction score
Thanks- I have been reading up on the AGM- did nit realize there might be a compatibility issue so will check into that. One other thing- OEM batteries under the DEKA name are tougher to find- East Penn Manufacturing builds batteries for retailers like West Marine, NAPA, CARQUEST, etc., and according to their Customer Service Rep, they are the same battery as DEKA- just a different name plate.

seasick

Reaction score
I thought the batteries in my 208 were 24s not 27s. I am not sure though.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
seasick said:
I thought the batteries in my 208 were 24s not 27s. I am not sure though.

Ours are 27's, though it's a tight fit inside the battery boxes. Been using AC Delco Voyager M27MF batteries. Just had to replace them after 12 years this winter. One of them still checks out fine, but the other was fried by a faulty float switch. So the pair was replaced. Last set of M27MF batteries on my dad's previous boat also lasted 10+ years. No affiliation with AC Delco, just been real happy with their performance.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yamaha has been specifying starting batteries with a minimum of 182 min reserve capacity for the F150-F250 series engines since they first came out. They draw a lot of power from the battery until you reach an rpm level that will generate almost 20 amps is you have a lot of electronics. The engines themselves (particularly the F150 with 2 electric fuel pumps) use a lot of juice just to power the internal electronic systems.

Grady has been using the Deka 27M6 flooded cell battery. You will be hard pressed to find another Grp 27 starting battery with that amount of reserve capacity, which was designed to meet the Yamaha specs. This battery has a hydrogen recombination system, so that you rarely have to add water.

Yamaha has been recommending against AGM batteries since they can tax the charging system if you let them get deeply discharged. They have been softening this recommendation recently, at least at the dealer level.

A lot of folks have been using pairs of AGM batteries with Yamaha engines without problems.