Off season rod storage

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How do ya'll store your rods during the winter downtime. Guys in Florida guess this doesn't apply. Yes, I have early cabin fever,,,,

I'll start,,,
20181222_194342.jpg

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Fishtales

Reaction score
I use the cold tuna rod racks and hang my spinning rods and medium trolling rods from my garage ceiling. Similar to you but horizontally.
I made my own vertical holders for the tuna rods (50/80s).

http://coldtuna.com/

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use the cold tuna rod racks and hang my spinning rods and medium trolling rods from my garage ceiling. Similar to you but horizontally.
I made my own vertical holders for the tuna rods (50/80s).

http://coldtuna.com/

Those are some nice racks. Mine are kind of piece milled together. Some I've removed from boat rod boxes and some I bought from BP.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ky - Nice collection. :cool:

In my basement, overhead, hanging from the joists on inexpensive rod hangers. All my Plano trays are down there too. After the holidays, during our Ice Age, I'll start replacing some line and lubing up the reels. I'll go through my trays and figure out what I need more of and get organized again. All with music and heat!!!

I blame the number of rods I have on my my wife. The first time I walked in the door with one new fishing rod she said, "Where's yours?".

Reactions: Ky Grady

Fishtales

Reaction score
Those Plano trays are like rabbits. They multiply like crazy. I have built in storage for 5 or so. I've tried different methods: loose, place in canvas tool bags like Husky that they sell at HD and now in the big green Cabela soft tackle bags (https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers-Tackle-Bags/1391170.uts?slotId=0). The latter seem to work pretty good and the biggest holds a bunch of them. Always looking for ideas. Share if you have any.....

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Was wondering if better for poles to be stored vertical, rather then horizontal where there will generally be a slight bend in the rod, not sure of it cam effect the spine of the rod long term.
I use horizontal with no issue yet, but for that reason on my horizontal rack I leave the reels on the inside of two racks to minimize bend.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've had mine stored this way for 4 years and haven't seen any issues with them. They don't seem to have any memory of the slight bend in them when I put them on the boat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Same here, not sure if it really matters all that much.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Imjus - I think you're putting too much thought into it :)

I don't really have the collection like you some of you guys have, but I've had some rods stored horizontally for decades with only a few weeks a year not stored. No issues.

My storage isn't as fancy as some of you guys, either. I simply have a couple short pieces of wood nailed vertically to the ceiling joists so that they hang below the joist by 8", then a piece of wood connecting the two vertical pieces. Two sets of these and it makes the two horizontal surfaces to rest the rods on.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Never seen any deflection issues from storing them horizontally. Most of my rods are on the heavier side of the scale but even the light rods have no issues. And they hang down there for 5+ months a years.

As far as the storing Plano trays... The area under the bait prep sink holds 4. I use that space for the trays that I need access to most often, hooks, swivels, rigging needles and crimps etc. Then I have 8 more under the port helm seat. There, everything is sorted based on type of fishing I'm doing or the species I'm targeting, ie top water, jigging, trolling, etc. I pull out whichever one I need when I need it. Bow section of my V-berth storage holds all my soft plastics in mesh lure bags. That's where I think all the Rabbit action is going on! I've got a ton of Slug-Goes and squid that I don't remember Buying!!!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
IMG_1056.JPG here's most of them. racks in boat have some too. I set the wall up so all rods go Butt first (from the garage door side). Makes it easier to put them in & out.
The big rods in the ceiling are always a painful stretch.