Oil Pump Won't Stop Pumping

Capt CMG

Reaction score
I have a pair of 99 200 HP Yamaha Saltwater Series and the remote oil tank pump won't stop pumping, the sensor on the small oil tank located on the motor seems fine, cause when I pull it out it sends an alarm to the helm. Any suggestions!!!!!!!!

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have not witnessed what you describe on my two strokes. However, I have seen the filter in the base of the boat mounted storage tank get clogged. When this occurs, the pump could take a long time to get the oil to the motor mounted oil tank. I suspect in one extreme case, it actually caused the oil pump to fail as the filter would not pass any oil since it was clogged solid.

Hope this helps.

seasick

Reaction score
A stupid question but is the manual oil pump switch turned off??

Capt CMG

Reaction score
I think so maybe that switch is bad cause it doesn't stay it automatically goes in the off position

seasick

Reaction score
Capt CMG said:
I think so maybe that switch is bad cause it doesn't stay it automatically goes in the off position

It should stay in the off position. You can unplug the wires to it and see if that makes a difference.

Capt CMG

Reaction score
it does stay in the off position thanks for the tip i;ll try it later today

jackg

Reaction score
had the same problem on my '99 Yami 150 Saltwater series. It looked like the Exxon Valdez when I pulled up to the dock. mechanic replaced oil pump and never had an issue again.