Oil

ahill

Reaction score
Recently I've been hearing of people, service techs as well, switching to Pennzoil synthetic instead of Yamalube.
Also recommended to using Techron additive instead of ringfree.
Any experience, thoughts on this?

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Penzoil synthetic. I have been told that Techron and Ring Free are basically the same but Techron has a lower concentration of theactive ingredients so you have to use more. I'll stick with Ring Free. Now, excuse me while I go change the bad thermostat on my F200.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've been using the Pennzoil XLF synthetic for years...its less than $20/gallon at Walmart. I personally think the engine runs better and smokes less....

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep. Ringfree is a concentrated Techron formulation that lets you add less per gallon of gas. There is no advantage in using automotive Techron Concentrate with regard to either price of performance.

People using Pennzoil or other synthetic 2 stroke oils report less smoke and carbon build up on the plugs than with Yamalube. As far as protection goes, it's anybody's guess. The industry won't allow independent product comparison studies to be made public.

All outboard TC-W3 oils have to be compatible in order to meet industry standards. Changing brands at any time won't hurt anything.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The old oil thing. Believe Pennzoil XLF is a synthetic blend. The Pennzoil 100% synthetic is pretty pricey. I've always used Amsoil synthetic plus Ring Free with excellent results, and I premix. Current Sailfish was always run on Yamalube and I just had to replace an O2 sensor. I believe Amsoil burns much cleaner IMHO.