Older Gel Coat

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since my "Starboard" thread got such an awesome response, I figured I would throw my following dilemma out there for some suggestions.

Before anyone asks, I have researched this extensively, but constantly hear differing opinions.

I have an 86' 204C with the hardtop option. the boat has been meticulously maintained, and you could eat off the bottom of the bilge (no joke). The boat has been kept in the water its whole life, and then covered or garaged for the winter (November - April). From all the years of abuse, the gel coat is not shiny on the topside surfaces (the hull shines like new after its spring polish/wax, and stays that way all season). The other problem with the topside surfaces is I am finding harder and harder to get them clean, especially when the boat sits for a few weeks, or we have lots of rain (nothing but rain lately).

I polish the boat and wax her every spring, as did the previous owner. Now, when I go to wax the topside surfaces, they just seem to absord the wax, and nothing buffs off, and I get no shine.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could do in this situation to get the topsides looking like new? I have no problem waxing the boat a few times pers eason, as long as it doesn't take me an hour to do a 1'x1' section... Hopefully some of you out there with older Grady's can shed some light on this for me, I very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Bren

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
3m has a 3step process that will bring your gel back to like new condition. Did my 85 204c with it this year and am totally pleased with the result

100_1938.jpg

100_1930.jpg

100_2076.jpg

You will need an electric polisher (40 bucks at harbor freight)

I was so pleased with the way the hull turned out that I did the entire topside as well.[/img].

Stay with these actual products and I'm sure you'll be pleased as well.

I've been in the water since early june and she still cleans easily and shines up great.

richie rich

Reaction score
CD has a good point...the 3M stuff is pretty reliable..been around for years and most boatyards use it...other manufacturers make similar material...I like Yachtbrite for the first step and then the Interlux sealer and finish coat...it works well too...

the problem is the UV is really beating the heck out of the top of the hull/deck directly in the sunlight....its getting porous, chaulky and thirsty which is typical with gelcoat as it ages into the 15-20+ year range.

There is a new product called Polyglow or similar name that supposed to act the same as a polyurethane coating on wood....once on, you can't get it off without a special remover....thats what they say ayway...I've never used it but was thinking about it one of these days.....maybe do some research on this one....but it does not act or resemble anything like the other polishes or waxes so its definitely new territory!

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! I tried the 3M Microfinishing Compound (not Marine) followed by the Finesse It II, followed by Meguiars Gold Class paste wax this spring, and have not been happy with the finish at all. I will try the Marine lineup at my next opportunity.

CD - You are a wealth of knowledge about the older Grady's, I appreciate all the feedback from you!

Regards,

Bren

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
3M products

Who carries the 3M products? Do you have to go to a marine store or do any other stores carry them ? I have looked in WalMart and Advanced Auto with no luck.

Thanks

T

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: 3M products

tbyrne said:
Who carries the 3M products? Do you have to go to a marine store or do any other stores carry them ? I have looked in WalMart and Advanced Auto with no luck.

Thanks

T

Might want to try googleing them... I have always found west marine to be OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive for stuff like this.

Bren

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: 3M products

tbyrne said:

Thanks

T

Imperial Finishing compound also works great on gelcoat. I think it's similar to the Finess it but would have to find out how they rate them comparitively.

Many of these products can be sourced at an auto-body paint store.

But yeah, you've got to get the oxidized layer off, then polish to gloss, then seal, then wax. Imperial finising has the right amount of grit to strip, and the marine wax above is a good one to finish off with. You really need a power buffer to strip.

Found a great product for sealing here: http://www.topoftheline.com/16ozmaxpains.html

EDIT: from a quick search online, I think the Imperial Finishing compound is more aggressive than the Finesse-It polish. These are all 3M products.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bdev, "wealth of knowledge"

serious overstatement here.

I'm just an average Grady guy with an older, not so fancy boat.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have you tried Collinite? I use the 920 cleaner (apply with the electric buffer) and then the 925 wax...the last step is a second coat of 925 applied by hand and taken off with the polishing pad.

I get a great finish on my '98 and it seems to last.

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Older Gelcoat

I used the three 3M products shown in the earlier post on my 1985 tournament 190. I spent most of today applying the rubbing compound then the Finess it II then the paste wax.

I bought the boat last year and it is in good shape but, very chalked. In fact where the sticker had come off you could see the original color.

I tried some other products like the Macguires but I couldn't tell a big
difference. I will say that these 3M products worked very well, although I could not quite get back to the original color, I got closer. I guess I could have spent a few more hours but my arms were wearing out. I did use a buffer and I did the rubbing compound twice.

Tomorrow I plan on doing the top side and inside of the boat. I bought new decals and will certainly see a big improvement when complete.

My guess is this boat has 20 years of oxidation, not sure you can get that off all the way.

Maybe next year I'll take it to a professional place and see if they can do any better.

The last thing I need to do is finish removing the old bottom paint and repaint it black. There are a few dings on the bottom that need fixing as well. Good off-season project.

Will post a picture when i get it done.

T

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Like most of you guys I have tried lots of stuff , finaly found a combination that is not too hard to work with. I have a 1989 Tournament 190, glass & gel coat in real good shape. After a good washing I use 3M color/gloss restorer & buff it out with one of those Wren buffers. Then use a product called Rejex ( a polymere finish) and buff that out. The shine is unmatched it needs to cure about 8-10 hours before appling another coat. I will apply 3 coats to the hull in the spring and good to go. I was sceptical about it at first but belive me it lasts a full season .

Offshore24NJ

Reaction score
wireline said:
Like most of you guys I have tried lots of stuff , finaly found a combination that is not too hard to work with. I have a 1989 Tournament 190, glass & gel coat in real good shape. After a good washing I use 3M color/gloss restorer & buff it out with one of those Wren buffers. Then use a product called Rejex ( a polymere finish) and buff that out. The shine is unmatched it needs to cure about 8-10 hours before appling another coat. I will apply 3 coats to the hull in the spring and good to go. I was sceptical about it at first but belive me it lasts a full season .

What exact product did you use I went to their website and they have several waxes and polishes. I have already purchased the 3m restorer I have herd great things about it and plan on putting it on with a machine.

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Offshore, On main home page Rejex.com go to the last item down- Rejex ( with the X in red) click that, then a small blue bottle shows up. Click on buy on- line to see specials and sizes available. It is great stuff, I see they have changed the recomended cure time to 12 hrs.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Buying 3M Products

Try this outfit: Defender.com Very reliable outfit, have made several purchases from them.

Dirt-cheap prices and reasonable shipping. Have just about everything 3M makes for the hole in the ocean into which you pour money. :D If you're in the Midlantic region you'll have it the next day with UPS.

West Marine is 40% more for some of the 3M products sold at Defender.com