On My Way Down The Internet Rabbit Hole.

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
OK guys,
With a little free time on my hands and a grand search for my next boat, I managed to love the OX66 and hate the Ficht's and F200-250's.
I even read the complete post from 2010 on THT about replacing the exhaust manifolds and checked the current prices for parts. ( I don't even have the boat yet).
It's all in the name of good research. I don't want to waste 20-25K then have to do major repairs before the next season.
So with that said: Here's the question. Based on the main outboard manufactures are there certain model motors to completely avoid? Now I'm talking boats in my price range:
2000-2005 Seafarers or 2000-2007 Adventures. I'm also looking at a few Mako's the 215 WA and the 233 WA-they seem to have Mercury's on board.

Last edited:

UCPA111

Reaction score
I repowered my Seafarer last year. Had a 225 Yamaha on it previously. I dug into the forums for Yamaha, Evinrude, Mercury, Suzuki, Honda, etc. I didn't find anything that turned me away from any of the models in particular. Yes, there were some trends on certain years of certain models. But, I couldn't say that buying a new motor I was going to be buying a unit with problems based on evidence on the internet.

I ended up going with Mercury because of a few features that I really liked. I purchased one of the last production I6 supercharged 300 HP models they made in the spring of 2018. I liked the narrow profile (I troll on Lake Erie and wanted space to the port and starboard of the motor for handling fish and letting out lines). I also wanted the Vesselview to display and control motor function. I am so tickled with the ability to dial in trolling speed in 10 rpm increments and troll at 1.8mph with a 300hp motor while sipping fuel (previously had a kicker motor on the stern as well - more weight and aggravation). I can also set cruise control and she will hold speed when running back home. The rigging is clean with wiring harnesses.

I have 110 hrs on my motor and performed first service. Everything looked great. Oh, and I also enjoy the power steering system. It's effortless to drive the boat.

Would I have been happy with a Yamaha or Suzuki? Yes. Lots of happy people out there running them.

I am running a 4 blade revolution prop. She jumps out of the hole and the kick of the supercharger is impressive (like...if you aren't holding on you risk being left behind...LOL). I've been on several boats with outboards (most recently a SeaHunt with twin 150s) and it didn't have the kick in the pants this single supercharged 6 has. Does that make it bad? No, still carried us out fishing and was reliable.

I don't think you can go wrong except for using a bad dealer. That was the only negative for me. Things like: driving a screw through the hull of boat and not fixing it and diminishing the impact of that, not having the unit ready when they said it was (100mile one way ride for me), Not providing a propeller - told me they don't come with props after we specifically discussed propping and what I was trying to accomplish, etc.

Research the dealer and get some good references.

My seafarer is a bit heavy. Hardtop. I did a bunch of restoration and mods and added epoxy and glass. With all that, I am at 48mph top end with 4 guys and 3/4 fuel and full gear (16 rods, down riggers, coolers, etc.). Painted bottom. I cruise at 28-30mph with 2.76 mpg. I am pleased.

I wouldn't mind having Mercury provide me with the new v8 model to do a side by side test...LOL!

Here is a video and I have more on my YouTube page.

Reactions: Heyspike