Opinions onTop Gun swivels. Taco vs Lee vs Rupp

JayT

Reaction score
I am purchasing a 248 Voyager with a hard top. The boat has not been fished and is not yet rigged with outriggers. I have always used the Lee gunnel mount with 18' poles. If anyone has the low down I would appreciate the good, bad, and ugly. :?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have the Taco GS270s with 15' telescoping poles. No prob.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Taco Grand Slams (now called 270s, I think), with the heavy-duty, 15-foot poles.

Literally thousands of miles in the Chesapeake Bay, offshore Virginia Beach, and even a week down in Hatteras.

Had one base 'lock-up' due to internal corrosion. Removed both and got a great trade-in with Taco on a set of rebuilt bases - with full warranty.

Good product, great service.

Brian

Bokat

Reaction score
I have the Taco Grand Slam heavy duty 15' poles on my Gulfstream. You won't be sorry if you get them. I run with the poles retracted alot when I'm not fishing. You can make or buy a line caddy to hold the halyards when not in use for fishing to get them out of the way.

I bought my Tacos in 2003 and have one issue with them. The plastic sleeves inside two of the joints have come loose. The loose sleeves keep the lock buttons from popping out to lock the sections in place. You can use a screwdriver or some other pointed object to orient the sleeves so the buttons will pop out but it is a pain. Taco can fix them at their facility in TN., I just haven't taken the time to send them in yet.

I bought my boat used and it had the Lee gunnel mount riggers on it. I removed them and sold them and installed a starboard piece over the hole, it looks like a step plate now. I like the roof mount location much better than the gunnel location because they are out of the way when not in use. Good luck with your decision.